1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cps Review Finds Every Single Coronavirus Act Case Was Incorrectly Charged

Discussion in 'The Coronavirus Section' started by Zhed46, May 15, 2020.

1. Can’t understand why this one hasn’t been poked.... oh hang on

Coronavirus: Hundreds of people charged after COVID-related attacks on emergency staff

Hundreds of people have been charged with coronavirus-related attacks in England and Wales, many of them on emergency workers, a senior prosecutor has said.

Some 442 suspects were charged with 660 offences flagged as being connected to COVID-19 last month, including assaults on 313 emergency staff.

Director of Public Prosecutions Max Hill QC said there had been some "appalling conduct" towards frontline workers.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said many of the offences followed the "typical pattern" of police officers and other emergency workers being coughed at and spat on by members of the public claiming to have coronavirus.

Mr Hill, who heads the CPS, told the Justice Affairs Select Committee there were also "142 offences of criminal damage, 99 public order offences, 63 common assaults (and) 44 cases of shop lifting".

Read More

Long queue for food bank in London

'Would you take hydroxychloroquine?'

Sturgeon outlines Scotland lockdown easing

Antibody tests will be available on the NHS - as latest figures reveal 338 more UK deaths

He added that there is a "very high conviction rate, hovering at around 97%", because in the vast majority of cases people are pleading guilty.

Earlier this month, seven people were arrested after police were coughed at as they attempted to disperse a large group at a birthday party during strict lockdown measures. Around 40 people - including children - were at the gathering in Bolton.

In a separate briefing, the National Police Chiefs Council said there had been a 14% rise in assaults on emergency staff in the four weeks to 10 May, compared to the same period last year.

In general, crime is down by about 25% in England and Wales, with 999 calls falling 23%.

Speaking about the impact that lockdown is having on domestic abuse, Mr Hill said he was "as alarmed as anybody else" by the challenges facing victims at the moment.

He added that while the number of calls to domestic abuse helplines has risen by 49%, the number of cases "in the criminal justice pipeline" has gone up by a much smaller number.

The National Police Chiefs Council reported a 4% rise in domestic abuse incidents.

Cautioning the perpetrators of domestic abuse has become difficult without face-to-face contact, Mr Hill said.

"The offender needs to understand what he or she - it's usually he but it can be a she - has done and there needs to be work with that individual to ensure that the conditional caution takes effect," he told MPs.

Mr Hill added that "face-to-face intervention" had become "very difficult to impossible in the early stages of lockdown".

That being the case, he said he did not think there had been "much in the way of out of court disposal on domestic abuse cases".

He continued: "It's rather the other way - more is coming to court."

Mr Hill said that while modern technology had been very useful during lockdown, it will be important to reassess the justice system once restrictions are lifted.

"As always there is a balance [in using technology] when it comes to trial and the public declaration of guilt or innocence," he said.

"We are going to have to look hard at the system and make sure we don't lose any of the cornerstones of open justice and access to justice merely because we've gone through a period of crisis."

More from Sky News

Website

Mobile App

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nice that domestic abusers can’t be dealt with (why mention mostly men?) leaving the victim to suffer (murder doubled in the first 4 weeks of lockdown) but cops happy to lean over someone into a car and breath all over them

3. You are poking it now, and for that we thank you :upyeah:

Great news - so long as they are prosecuted properly and fairly (both of which costs money and takes time), justice will be done.

I have a lot of time for Max. I did some of my pupillage in his chambers (yep - I also used to prosecute believe it or not) and then was there for 11 months, but had to move on due to the savage legal aid cuts announced in 2011. Despite the fact that at the time he was Senior Treasury Counsel involved in several massive terrorist trials (including being mid-trial in the 21/7 bombers case, IIRC) and was also Chairman of the Criminal Bar and therefore, up to his neck in negotiations with the MoJ about said cuts, he somehow found the time to phone around other sets of Chambers to find a nobody newbie like me somewhere else to hang my coat. When you come with the personal recommendation of someone like Max, doors tend to open which otherwise would have been closed, and I am extremely grateful to him for that because at that time it was looking very shaky for me as the view of the Criminal Bar was "we're all doomed!" and so very few places wanted to take on another mouth to feed.

My second fave story about him is that when he became DPP in Nov 2018, he wanted to find out what life was like at the coal face and so in his first week he turned up unannounced to prosecute a remand list at Ealing Mags. My then pupil happened to have a case in that court that day and so, after only a month on her feet, she ended up appearing against the DPP. That's one for the grandkids.

I think both of those stories say a lot about what sort of man he is.

No surprise there, as the Mags Ct conviction rate is usually not far off that anyway IIRC. If I were defence counsel for someone with a runnable but marginal case, I would be telling them to consider a number of factors.

Firstly, even in normal times Mags tend to believe police officers and public servants over defendants, but in the current climate I imagine that even if you have a witness statement from The Pope stating that he was giving you the Holy Sacraments at the time of the offence, they would probably still convict. Secondly, given that the Govt were tending to release minor offenders early and judges/Mags were trying to avoid sending people to prison (in order to ease overcrowding and the spread of CV19) they have a better chance of staying out of prison by pleading now rather than fighting and losing a trial (plus losing their 33% credit for early guilty plea) in 3 months time when things might be back to normal. Thirdly, even if the Beak does give you bird, apart from the risk of catching CV19, now is as good a time as any to be locked up.

Great news, but also no great surprise due to everybody being remanded in custody by Bojo from the end of March onwards, though IIRC, didn't Priti Patel try to take credit for it?

My colleagues who do family law have been run off their feet due to couples whose relationships were already on the rocks being trapped together indoors like two cats in a sack.

My experience hasn't been positive. The two criminal hearings I have not gone well, and one was positively farcical. In the first one the judge couldn't hear me due to Skype for Business not working too well on MacBooks., so I had to communicate with him by a combination of "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" gestures and writing notes on pieces of paper to hold up to the camera, meaning what should have been a 5 minute hearing took 55 mins. The second time, a different less patient judge just sacked it off when nobody could hear or see each other and converted it to a phone hearing.

4. Thanks for looking and spending time thinking about it. I'll pass on the comments to my sol to get her reaction. That is useful to me,as I do find it baffling at the moment. We have a driver that always admitted fault and was prosecuted (to which she pleaded guilty). And there is the Police Traffic Crash Investigator report that is now available to all, as the police have finished prosecuting. That report attached no blame to me and 100% to the other party. Yet the insurance company still deny any liability! If they did admit liability, then we would be discussing settlement by now. Whilst the final settlement can't be reached until my eye situation is assessed, medically, then we could start to have sensible discussions - rather than this ridiculous situation where hey stick their head in the sand and pretend that it will all go away!

I will say that I'm not trying to wind my sol up, but just to get a better understanding of the case and (lack of) progress.

The eye issue is 100% down to the accident and I don't think that it can be argued. There is an x-ray of my brain bleed that I suffered after the accident. The doctors noted it but were not really concerned as there was so much else to deal with A bit of incurable brain damage wasn't that concerning whilst they considered amputating my leg! The last Ophthalmologist that I saw at Dursley hospital was pretty sure that the brain bleed affected he optic nerve connection to my brain - explaining why my left eye didn't see everything. She referred me to Gloucester Hospital because they have more sophisticated equipment to investigate cause and damage.

This was before the lock down and now Gloucester Hospital have put back the appointment, due to the pandemic. Not sure why they were expecting the pandemic to create a big demand for eye appointments but I'm happy not to visit there for a while, Nasty places, hospitals, with lots of ill people!

5. Jeez Perry
    I didn’t realise you were going through all this. Hope you get your medical and insurance issues resolved the way you need as soon as

good luck

6. Thanks, Everything seems to be a slow process. I am healing up - slowly - but the worrying thing is my eyesight. At my last appointment at Southmead Hospital, the doctors were all happy with progress. Their timescale is two years I am at 14 months.

The eye thing is frustrating because my appointment at Gloucester Hospital was put back because they were cancelling all none urgent appointments. Well, it's urgent to me!

Patience (which I am not renowned for) is the key....

And the bike shops are all shut! Fowlers and Riders were regular trips. A mate took me and the coffee bars they have are good!

7. It was all gov funding from his mate boris.
    When the money ran out he pulled the plug.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I'll add to this that james Dyson is the domenic cummings of the manufacturing world. There is fuck all that man does for the benefit of anything or anyone other than his own enrichment. He's another one who's got pictures of Boris dry bumming a dog. He bankrolled alot of the brexit campaign as did many self serving business men and as a result Boris has no real choice but to pay the piper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. and is there any other way to run a business? especially your own business...

10. His cummingness goes beyond the business though. As a human being he's rather despicable. His tally runs far greater than the dyson brand. He's bought up huge swathes of farmland because he knows he doesn't have to pay tax on it when his kids inherit it, and also through EU subsidy he gets around 2.5 million per annum for it doing nothing.

The result however is that in Lincolnshire the price of farmland has now outpriced many real farmers - going from 8000 to 14000 per acre, and now he's started in oxfordshire as its cheaper. In lincolnshire it had got to the point where land owners weren't selling land as they were just waiting for dyson to come and buy it from them.

That and his businesses are all registered offshore and he himself is domicile in malta means that he's not paying the .gov a penny of the wealth he's making as is his due.

I've got no problem with multi billionaires but please, just please pay your takes for the good of the nation that you're taking for a ride.

I hope that one day the law fundamentally changes so that profits earned from uk pounds pay full uk tax irrespective of whether your business is in the ROI, Lux or malta.

I would also like to add, I'm polarised as I can't stand the horrible little man.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. this is why we need a land tax. Or even better compulsory purchase of land or property which is not being used

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. #112 Zhed46, May 24, 2020 at 11:44 PM
    Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 11:51 PM
    • Like Like x 4
  13. I agree it’s ridiculous that such a wealthy landowner can benefit from subsidies, but’s it’s no more ridiculous than any other farmer doing the same.

Farming subsidies in general are one of the greatest taxes on the poor to benefit the wealthy. The argument that ‘struggling’ small farms need the subsidies to survive is equally ridiculous. In every other commercial enterprise, if you can’t make enough profit, you go out of business. Farming should be no different and taxpayers shouldn’t have to foot the bill to allow a small minority to live their chosen lifestyle regardless of whether they have a valid business model.

In the case of Dyson, he doesn’t just buy land and leave it as a tax haven - although that is of course why he has invested so much. Beeswax farming has various large sites around Lincolnshire and it’s tangible how much money is being spent once they are taken over. Stone walls get rebuilt, trees are trimmed, grass is cut, brand new Farm machinery can be seen in the fields. It’s run as a modern business by a team of professional farm managers - and it shows.

If the subsidies were withdrawn then Beeswax would still survive, and it would be in no way detrimental to the vast majority of us if the rest of farming went the same way - professionally run, commercially viable businesses run at scale. Unless you are all happy to continue to pay 3.4 billion of taxes to a small minority of the population who would happily shoot you should you stray onto their land......?

Full disclosure - no, I’m not keen on Farmers :mad:

14. I would say I am not a fan of the food production industry. Feeding cattle things they would not naturally eat is never going to end well. it seems that supermarkets play a large roll in reducing what farmers earn and no doubt becomes a factor in them feeding soya to cows. Or cows to cows in the late 80s.

beyond that I feel there are some facets of society which require subsidy. Most of them come back to security.

food security and looking after the countryside
    Energy security- not paying the Chinese to build nuclear power stations
    Defence capability- subsidies for steel industries so we can build aircraft and ships

My personal view is that I am quite happy for these industries to be subsidised for the greater good and security of the U.K.

And yes, England does have some very strange property laws

15. One bloke saw someone who he believed was Cummings?.......is that the evidence? and then the great press got on it.....
    Has he actually admitted being there? Are there any pictures?

16. It is weird that he claimed to have copied down his number plate but in this age of mobiles didn't have a single picture of the man he thought was cummings or a picture of the car

17. I'm not at all sure I want the international corporations to take control of all the UK's food supply along with everything else. Compared to them, farmers are extremely friendly. Add to that the impact of mega farms on the enviroment and landscape and its a flat out no thankyou from me.

@749er just read your post. You are entirely right, there are many things which the country needs to be able to provide for its self, to maintain its security & viability. Food, steel, power, comunication / tech, medicines/ health and water are all included in this.

#117 Jez900ie, May 25, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 9:00 AM
  18. The second ‘sighting’ is certainly dubious and rather nicely takes focus away from whether or not he should have made the trip in the first place.

19. Where’s my defence barrister .. the police have charged me on the evidence of one pinko lefty tree hugger with no Cctv or documentary evidence...has thee been a miscarriage?

20. It is weird, but Cummings is not denying it. He has admitted going.

Either way, ANPR, his bank records and mobile phone provide all the hard evidence should the police deem it necessary to ask for it.

the issue has gone beyond Cummings and onto the PM saying things like it is ok to follow “your instincts” and that those override the law.

Interesting times. The PM really ought to dump DC and protect his government from the flack

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information