1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked Instrument's Fix

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Ed31, May 1, 2018.

1. A nice small project, another 916 with cracked instrument glass (well perspex) I've done a few of these in the past, but its been a while.

WP_20180307_002.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. First job is to remove the bezel. I use a new scalpel to cut the joint between the bezel and the body of the instruments.

#2 Ed31, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. The Perspex can then be removed roughly. I'm going to use a router to remove the final bits. The Perspex is bonded to the bezel to make it more fun.

WP_20180314_009.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. The bezel has a crack in it, so will infill the hollow back with a 2 part epoxy resin, before cutting new Perspex.

WP_20180428_008.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Interesting array of backgrounds.
    Lovin the Foggy themed one. Classy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. you must have the patience of a saint:upyeah:welldone

7. So where do I send mine to you? :p

8. I don't know about that! I might have sworn a few times just for good measure. I get involved with the restoration of ancient timber monuments, so not having a conservation officer breathing down my neck is quite nice.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Great work,,,As long as you have eight fingers and two thumbs at the end of the day,that's all that matters:upyeah:and love the 911

• Like Like x 1
  10. With the Perspex cut out, I hand sanded a chamfer (400 paper) a bit like a valve/valve seat onto the old bezel and the new Perspex. This makes a nice accurate join, the plan being to keep it all looking stock and unmolested. The new Perspex is then glued into the old bezel (I use an activated super glue) After checking its water tight, I then used clear silicone to re attach the bezel to the instruments, that way it can always be removed in the future, without too much hassle.

WP_20180501_027.jpg

11. All done.

WP_20180501_024.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  12. Ed, old thread but probably the most helpful one I have found on the Web to date!!! I am doing up a 2000 996 I got a few weeks ago and both temp gauge and tacho gauge have cracked, 3rd one has got scratches!
    There are a few sources of ready cut round Perspex on ebay, how did you find the Perspex holding on in time? Is the fix still holding on?

13. Sorry, just seen this ! The first set I did in the early 2000's and they still look the same as when I did them. Ready cut perspex sounds a simpler way of doing it. Please update the thread with how you get on. Be good to hear someone getting some use out of the information.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I will do! that will be something for the winter.
    Thanks Ed

Do Not Sell My Personal Information