1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crank Gallery Plug

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Pilib, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Hi Folks, just thought i would share my findings after splitting the crank cases on my 13000 mile 1999 750ss ie. There has been a lot of debate as to when Ducati stopped using alumium gallery plugs, post 2000 seems to be the general view. So i was surprised to find mine is steel, i don't know the full history of the machine but the engine doesn't look like it has been apart before. The engine was stripped due to finding a hole in the crank case repaired with epoxy probably due to the chain breaking. I bought a 15 ton hydraulic puller off ebay for 51 euros and after modifying the arms to fit and pumping away with the gear nut loose by a quarter turn there was a loud crack and the gear was free. The puller i assume is Chinese made but is of good quality and of course can be used for other applications-a real bargain!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. First of all well done for correctly calling it a “gallery” plug, and not “galley” plug :) , are you having the casing welded up?.

3. The post is actually a little late and have since had the case and generator cover welded by a great guy here in Tipperary for 50 euro. I've had a thought the gallery plug is steel because the engine may have been replaced with one from a later model some time in the past, i will check the engine numbers tomorrow. The generator cover is correct for a 1999 having two bolts for the crank position sensor, my 2001 sport is different as it has one fixing bolt.

4. 15 ton puller - to remove the primary gear nut?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information