1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Crank Position Sensor

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Italianfan, Oct 2, 2017.

1. My 916 ran really well in May but when I try to start it now there's no spark. The battery is fully charged (I've piggybacked a car battery to make sure the starter draw doesn't drop voltage to the CPU - a P8), the neutral light shows, as does the oil light and all electrics work. The engine turns over well but there's no spark in either plug. I've done it with the clutch in and out and the side stand up in all cases. When you switch off the power the plugs spark discharge so I'm assuming the coils are okay.

The relays under the seat click on, and the fuel pump kicks in for a few seconds so I'm assuming the ECU is also okay.

My RPM sensor is reading 680kohms but the CPS is showing infinite resistance.

So I've two questions;

Are the symptoms consistent with a failed CPS?
    What is the OEM part for a 1994 model?

The relays on the bike are from 2000 and 2002 so I'm not convinced the CPS is original, hence question two. It's a Magneti Marelli SEN8T if that helps.

Thanks for the help!!

2. Hi, I am hoping that you managed to get it working by now? Did you test the sensor?
    I fitted mine on another 916, thanks to bootsam for letting me try it out. I also bought a new one from amazon which was the same spec, not a ducati part. This also tested good.

Vinnychoff

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yea, I got it sorted thanks Vinnychoff. I bought a new sensor off eBayand it solved the problem. Thanks for checking back.

• Like Like x 5
  4. i have symptoms with my 916. Last ride out started to run very rough, one big misfire at low speeds.. then ran fine for a bit. Bike now wont start - although nearly fires into life.

i have changed plugs, cleaned tank, fresh fuel and checking all wiring. Battery is fully charged.

im thinking this could be related to the crank position sensor...

Did u have more symptons when u found this issue?

5. forgot to say. I was riding then all of a sudden power completely went and came to a stop. Ever since hasnt started..

6. The CPS fault is a binary one - it either senses properly or it doesn't. If it works, then the bike will run, but if it doesn't then the bike won't start at all.

7. Ayrton its best to work through and check. Its mentioned in the earlier post the resistance value. That would be the first test. If it passes then you will have to look elsewhere. I have a spare one. PM if you would like to buy it from me. I live in Caterham Surrey but can post to you. Other wise start a new thread with what you have done so far. I also had problems with my alarm which when i took it apart. THe board showed dry spots. This caused me issues with starting, I have since removed it. Hope it helps Vinnychoff

8. thanks for that. The bike came to halt suddenly after having a mishap midway through the ride. Now wont start at all.. would you say there is other possibilities?

9. Could be a number of things, e.g. ignition relay, fuel pump, crank sensor, wiring issue, ECU (probably least likely). No power commander presumably.

10. Does the fuel pump prime when the ignition is turned on?

11. yep fuel pump primes, relays under seat click on. Don't think its fuel pump as that was changed recently and changed with fuel filter.

12. no power commander. Fuel pump was changed recently. Pump primes when ignition on.

The turns over and nearly fires into life but doesn't.

The bike broke down on last ride. Power just died all of a sudden after a misfire and rough riding at low speed - hasnt started since.

13. Check to make sure a fuel hose hasn't come undone inside the tank! Suspicious since the pump and filter was changed recently.

14. Just because a relay clicks it doesn't necessarily pass current. My 998 cut out without warning while riding along and it turned out to be a faulty relay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I disagree a CPS fault is binary! I've experienced CPS faults that have given the following symptoms:

1. Engine runs well until warm and then starts to misfire and cuts out, will restart when cooled down.
    2. Engine runs but accompanied with backfires.
    3. Engine runs but suddenly cuts out, will then restart until the next time it cuts out.

Agree that a faulty CPS can cause a binary fault of not starting at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information