1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Crankshaft Snapped

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by MCPHEE69, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Ouch just found my 2011 carbon has a snapped crank 18000 miles Full Ducati service history !!!! Nightmare to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jumping Jehoshaphat :astonished:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. That's going to be expensive

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Look for a complete engine me thinks

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. You need to be getting your dealer to pursue Ducati for a goodwill gesture. Crank failure whilst rare, was a known fault in that age of engine. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. iirc @JH_1986 had the same issue, an independent metallurgical investigation provided confirmation that the crank was faulty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Id hazzard 3k for an engine rebuild...providing you can find a second hand crank...(what my hyper cost...)

8. It's over 2k just for bare crank I think .have heard of one guy getting the crank as a gesture from Ducati but it was just out of warranty .mine 8yo and 18k miles .anyone think they will look at helping

9. Ducati didn't want to know with me. Luckily it was on finance so I went the route of claiming the vehicle was not satisfactory with BlackHorse.

An independent assessor checked my service history and stripped the bike to check the components. Even though I'd done my own oil change last service, they checked my receipts and said that was fine and that no crankshaft should snap at this mileage anyway.

Basically it's deemed that the oil channels drilled through the crank, create a weakness

IMG_1084.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks for info .mime has sheared behind the generator ,retaining nut was still tight

11. if its done your crank cases too i have a good condition 1198 crank case here available.

12. Thanks but they are ok .

13. There was a YouTube video of an engineer investigating Ducati cranks. I never did see the 2ND episode. Maybe Audi had him nobbled. :scream::eyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. its about where the mains bearing sit and the shape of the hole...the crank didn't just snap. it would of took time.. got out of shape and vibrated.

15. It is exactly like the American lad on YouTube when you search Diavel snapped crank except my nut was tight . It happened changing from second to first coming on to a roundabout .bummer !!!

16. He gets to the crank eventually

17. 2 mins 20 secs

18. Hmm - you might strike lucky....my hyper 1100 evo sp needed a crank....purely out of sheer luck ducati john had one from a stock 1100 gen 1 - although the part numbers were different - they were identical (cost me 100 quid)...i suppose its a case of how much like the bike and do you want to keep it. For me it was no question... but shelling out 3k had its advantages...

1. The bike keeps the original engine number with the bike.
    2. Any other "weaknesses" can be addressed...mine had the main bearing which were known to fail so i got the chance to change them.
    3. Assuming you find a crank and whoever builds it, you get the chance to have it balanced.
    4. You might not do this but, on mine i got some tools and ground out quite a bit of the valve guides and when it got dyno'd the bottom end shove went up quite a bit too...
    5. Ducati coatings are shit so i got my whole engine cerakoted which ridden through the winter hasnt touched it.

As i say, depends how much you like it. Love mine, dont want to get rid of it so it was an easy choice. Post rebuild ive got a much more reliable engine that rides smoother, goes better and is more resistant to the elements... coatings...the Achilles heel of ducati...

19. let me just stop you there!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information