1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash Bobbin Holes

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by purch1977, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Hi
    Has anyone had any luck filling the hole from a crash bung before?
    The previous owner must have removed them from my bike but now I have a hole on each side that is covered by stickers. I would love to get the non graffitied look but if it’s too difficult then I will leave it as is!

Thanks

Wayne

2. Ahhhrgghhh - crash bobbins :scream: hate them when holes are drilled, people should be :poop: on for doing this!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I agree! I was gonna see if I could cut a bing from some other ABS and bond it in but unsure how this would hold and then blend in and colour match!
    I was contemplating buying the bobbins again but really do t like the idea of the engine bolt being used as a mount for them

4. superglue and baking soda will fix the plug in place then fill , sand , paint

5. superglue and baking soda? How does that work??

6. The the most stupid invention known to man. :mad: You drill a hole in your fairings to stop you damaging our fairings. :rolleyes: Even the ones that protrude from the frame without the need for drilling the bodywork look awful and in my opinion would actually cause more damage in the event of a spill if they hooked with a kerb, pothole or gutter. :skull:

Fork sliders / axle sliders aren't too offensive, but again, what's the point. :rolleyes:

7. In order of probables with the easiest starting first

Leave the stickers covering on and forget about them
    Re-fit bungs
    Find some second hand panels to replace the damage ones, they come come along if you are patient
    Have the holes filled and panels resprayed
    all depends on how long you intend on keeping it

8. Q Bond will work to fix a plug into the fairing, I've used it with great results.

There's plenty of YouTube vids showing fairing repairs.
    Steve

9. I am liking the idea of the q bond! I think some duck tape on the back then build it up then fine sand and airbrush in!

10. Personally I would use the Q bond to fix a piece of plastic in place first.
    Steve

11. If you're not confident of the airbrush then perhaps call in one of those dentmaster people who would do the paint blending back in for you at a reasonable price?

• Like Like x 1
  12. You can also try this to fix broken parts

13. How big is the hole?

14. I think it’s around 20mm

15. Does anyone have any experience of using these folks - preferably in east Anglia? I have a couple of "blemishes" that need touching in...

16. #16 Cream_Revenge, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  17. You can't really sand Q-bond back to a nice finish. You would need to build it up low then filler on top.

18. I definitely don’t like the idea of drilling nice shiny fairings, but I have installed them for the first time in 16 years of riding.

My reason was for touring, in the last few years I’ve seen a couple of crashes in Germany where crash bungs saved bikes from potentially being a write off. As we don’t tend to hold back on German roads or the Nurburgring, I decided they were a worthwhile investment. Plus, as they’re going on a KTM, it doesn’t really distract from the overall unfinished ascetics.

19. Guys just a bit of an update I have taken the plunge are sealing up these holes and so far it doesn’t look too bad! Just ordered to Ducati yellow! Over the next few days I will be wet and drying to get the right finish. Photos to follow

• Like Like x 2
  20. Not perfect but looks 100% better than the crappy holes!!

BB9664A5-7CDB-49AE-B86C-9DFB3D4116AE.jpeg

B3DF4009-D44C-4F2D-A7D8-25970C8CB289.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information