1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Crash Bobbins

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Hexme, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Looking to put some crash bobbins on the bike, seen the R&G and the Evotech products are there any others? failing that anyone with any experience with the Evo's or the R&G's?

2. #2 DarR, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It's always down to personal preference, but for me, R&G works, on not just the crash bobbins, but also front and rear fork/spindle protectors too.
    All are very easy to fit as well. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks

5. I have mixed feelings about frame sliders.
    I had a set of R&G on both my Panigale and my wife's CBR300R.
    All they did was save the handlebar end on my wife's bike a few times.
    They did not help the Panigale at all when it inadvertently fell off the side stand.
    The clip-on and mirror took one for the team. Slider didn't even touch the ground.
    IMHO, they're just another thing to replace in a drop. As for a low-side, insurance is best here.
    IMG_20170727_134741-c.jpg Screenshot from 2019-12-05 12:04:27.png

#6 DarR, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I agree with front spindle sliders, they usually save the fork legs.
    Frame sliders are a different matter. I've seen two bikes essentially written off due to the damage the sliders did. Once the bikes left the tarmac and hit the dirt they dug in. One one bike (Suzuki) it broke the engine mounting lug off the frame, and on the other (Honda VFR) it cracked the engine crankcases, causing an unrepairable oil leak.
    On a fireblade they were mounted off of the fairing brackets that had no strength, so the panels still got damaged.
    On a mates Trumpet 675 they got bent back and punched a hole in the fairing.

Crank case covers are probably of more benefit to the Multi

Ultimately it depends what your trying to protect against. Near stationary topple over spills are probably fine. Anything 30mph and up, and they may well cause more damage rather than avoid it.
    IMO/IME of course :yum

• Like Like x 2
  7. That's good information thanks, it's just mainly the stationary drops I want to protect against so I might invest in some engine covers. Thanks again for your thoughts.

8. R&G sliders sacrificed themselves to save my 999 from loads of damage. The previous owner fitted them but I'm so glad they were there. The bike would have certainly been a write off without them but now it is back to its former glory and you would never know, so my experience is an extremely positive one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Appreciate your thoughts

10. If an inadvertent stationary drop is your concern (and it happened to me while I was reaching for my rear stand), spend the money on a Baxley sport chock:
    I did and it's the best. Safest piece I ever bought for that purpose. Great for trailer hauling and paddock also.
    I have the black one. The yellow is for illustration purpose.
    Baxley Sport Chock.jpg Baxley Sport Chock Multistrada.png

#11 DarR, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. yep, I use them bump-in stands in my van.
    The enduro won't really stand up on its own in the stand though, too top heavy.

As old rider says, the sliders can save a bike from being written off in some cases, but my point was they really need to be mounted in a decent position else they can do more damage.
    Someone posted pictures of crash bars rubbing on the tank panels (NSM ?). To me, they are meant to protect them, not mark them in normal use o_O
    I think the more flush fitting blocks are better than the big bobbins.
    Incidentally, the rear paddock stand lift bobbins can do just as good a job of protecting the swinging arm, and are useful too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks John.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Baxley makes a version for heavy bikes called the LA Chock.
    Unlike imitations, the Baxley squeezes the tire once in.
    LAChock-500x500.png
    https://www.baxleycompanies.com/

14. For my bikes and my wife we have had three or four tip overs and a couple wrecks with sliders. They generally didn't prevent damage only lessened it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information