1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit Card Cloning - A Caution

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Android853sp, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Okay, just a quick update to an earlier post bemoaning credit card fraud using my card details. Just got off the phone talking to the credit card provider fraud department and I'm delighted to report that all the fraudulent transactions on my credit card have been refunded and evidence obtained from some of the retailers involved. When I first reported the fraud, the initial thought was that the details were scammed off an internet transaction but further investigation has identified that my card was actually cloned. I have absolutely no idea where this could have happened because I am a man of habit and only use my credit card for particular types of transactions. Here on in I'm going to pay more attention and I urge everyone not to get as complacent as I clearly have. Be vigilant, be safe people and don't let the bastards get you. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. I received a new card last week, unasked for. Called bank today, and they say because of my account status (!) they want to ensure they always protect me and have sent me another card as there may have been activity that could have suggested fraudulent use.

No idea what it was, they couldn’t say and all transaction look ok (I check often).

Old card was only 5 months old....better safe than sorry I guess!

Ps glad you got it sorted.

3. Balls, thought this was going to be a “how to” post
    Glad it’s all sorted, can be a real ball ache sorting out claims etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bradders, can I ask, was your old card the standard type and was the new one contactless?

5. Contactless. I do wonder if the new one is more secure somehow, a bit like a multi recall being done as a service so as not to alert anyone ;)

I have had a card cloned in the last, years ago, and they spent £750 betting online before I had a call from the bank. All sorted with minimal fuss, although that was credit card not debit card

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. I asked as if your credit card was an older one, then it's likely to have not had contactless and many companies are now renewing with contactless only.

Contactless allows 5 transactions per day with a maximum of £30 per transaction, so £150 per day without a pin or signature.

If a bank/building society issues a contactless card you can ask for a standard card to replace it. As to security, My daughter has worked ina bank before but I was surprised to find out she said most take away delivery services in our town had taken her card details including end of date and the security code, weird.

7. Carole's son was informed by Nationwide that it has no restriction on the number of transactions in a day after his debit card was stolen and his current account bled dry in 2 hours. Being 22 and useless with money, that wasn't much but there seemed to be no fraud trigger. Andy

8. I’ve always fond Lloyds very vigilant

Twice they’ve called asking me if I’ve just made a transaction that looked suspicious

One was genuine the other was for £1 that they said was often how they start fishing accounts

Every time I’ve has issues Lloyds have refunded immediately but it goes to show how many people are affected by this

9. Mate of mine was having a group dirt ride and arranged to meet everybody at a Texaco garage. Whilst waiting for people to turn up he decided to fill up with fuel. He tried to use his debit card to pay but the transaction was refused, as he didn't have enough cash he tried to use his credit card, after putting his details in this was refused as well, now my mate tries never to use his credit card for some reason, to the point where I don't know why he has one, anyway the point being about the credit card, he knew when and where he'd used it or tried to, he then had to borrow money to pay for the fuel and didn't think anymore about it.
    A week later his bank got in touch with him, as they'd noticed some transactions had taken place in Eastern Europe and was it him, he said no so the bank sorted it out, but I don't think the bank or police got involved with any investigation regarding the garage.
    We've even had card readers installed on cash machines at our local Tesco branch.

10. Whilst I was working in the Maldives my debit card was cloned. They spend £1,500 on it in Australia and Canada (apparently with the card being present!) before I noticed. Lloyds did sort it an pay back all the transactions I identified as not being mine.

11. Whilst I was working in the Maldives my debit card was cloned. They spend £1,500 on it in Australia and Canada (apparently with the card being present!) before I noticed. Lloyds did sort it an pay back all the transactions I identified as not being mine.

12. On the contactless limit front, there is no limit on Apple Pay whatsoever. It even gets around the £30 contactless limit. I now use it for pretty much everything as it’s not like the till operator can clone a card that way.

Only time I’ve known anyone to have their cards cloned and it was an uncle and it was his local petrol station that did it. All the staff were in on it and it involved a camera above the PIN machine and the staff would invoke a problem with the card reader (unplug it so it failed or something). They would then grab the reader and card, remove the card to give the chip a little rub/clean and in the same moment, scan it. Then carry on as though all normal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Is Apple Pay similar to Android Pay where you hold your phone over the contactless payment machine ? Andy

14. Coo this post was cloned too....they can do anything these days :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I've succeed in getting non-contactless visa cards from HSBC & RBS, both however needed 3 try's to get it right. I also had a nasty letter from a bank explaining one account was frozen due to fraud. Until of course it was explained I'm supporting several kick-starter projects in usa'

16. Yep, only it requires your fingerprint or passcode so is considered more secure

17. So you have been scammed then :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Is there a time limit on the banks refunding fraudulent transactions on cards?

19. Probably the £75k protection limits.

Mine was cloned, and I know where too as the local Sri Lankans had done a fair number in the Shell garage at Tichfield near Fareham.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information