1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossing The Channel

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In my ignorance, I don't get the gig of crossing the English Channel in a dingy.

You have got across Europe and are currently in France. A nice country with good weather, food, and wine. I grant you that you will not be particularly welcome. So you risk death and pay money to take one more step and get to the UK.

So is the perception that you will be made welcome in the UK? Housed, employed, fed, and clothed?

I don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. You are told you are going to The Land of Housing and Benefit in a boat. You hand over all your cash.

When you get to the beach, there's a dinghy. Not a real boat. No refunds, sorry. What's your next move?

Governments, NGOs, well meaning liberals and leftists - they facilitate and support people traffickers, this is all on them. Their moral cowardice results in vulnerable people being placed in the most risky circumstances, every day.

If you are for open borders, you are the enemy of civilisation. I'm privileged to set you straight on this issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. When people are sitting in their mud hut in African with nothing to eat, a package of grain turns up for free. On the outside of that package is a huge union jack with the words "Aid from the UK", that starts the dream. When you decide to better yourself and go seek a different life, you remember that the UK is a rich country that gives things away for free.
    It is hard to change a dream.

4. They have heard Brexit will be fab, and France is fooked, and Finm needs them in Scotchland...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Life as an immigrant in France is particularly miserable. Spend a bit of time in the suburbs where large numbers of immigrants are housed and the hopelessness is pervasive.

6. What the fuck are you on ?

#6 dukesox, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Not the type of post i like to read on the ducati motorcycle website i so admire. This post has clear racist remarks that would not be tolerated elsewhere, i suggest you delete the post. How we get from Perrys reasonable question to this kind of text is beyond me!

#7 michel couque, Dec 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 8
  8. @El Toro

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Errmmm.......

I think Bob T summed it up, but some points of view are just amazing.

10. IMHO once a refugee has arrived in a safe country like France, or any of the others they passed through on the way, why aren’t they considered an economic migrant if they choose to take the perilous trip across the U.K.?

Refugee status should be about fleeing persecution or similar unjust treatment, once safe the persecution reason collapses surely?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. It’s disappointing. Not surprising, but disappointing. On the whole this is a friendly intelligent forum, but some views make me wince.

12. .

#12 JoePeps, Dec 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. There’s something in this that I agree with, I think a lot of the resentment stems from this. In Hull in the early 90’s the plight of the Kurds was something people felt very shocked by, that we wanted to do something about and refugees were welcomed warmly and supported. The vast majority of those folks were appreciative. The follow up was very bad though, and when the threats back home evolved for sure some people went home, some people decided they liked Britain and to stay but a lot were just sort of forgotten about... this gave rise to a lot of excuse for “coming over here, claiming benefits” scaremongering. When the next crisis came and refugees from Somalia and Congo arrived there was less warmth and a lot more distrust. Plus the local and national press were hysterical by that stage too... it was a far less heartwarming situation.

Feeble tracking, handling and management of refugees by UK authorities and media outcry have a lot to answer for. Sentiments such have been expressed above are in part the result (of course cavemen will be cavemen whatever).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. And of course, why does the offer of a place of refuge need to involve permanency?

Should the safety issues get resolved then surely there should be a requirement to show the need to remain. Perhaps that the person has demonstrated a benefit to the U.K.

The bottom line for me is that is that we should help genuine refugees with a place of safety but we should also be able choose who is offered permanent residency here?

After all, if your neighbour’s house burnt down, you’d surely offer accommodation, but perhaps not once their house has been rebuilt though;)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. That is an easy one to answer. France does nothing for them because the don't officially exist. They need to make themselves known to authorities (perhaps by claiming asylum) before they have any status in that country.Most of them just want to get to the UK so they refuse to register in France or any other country, they end up as migrants just passing through.
    France has no right to consider them and economic migrant as your post suggests, that is up to the individual to claim, and an economic migrant has no automatic right to remain.

16. That might be the technical answer but it doesn’t mean that it’s right though.

IMHO France appears more than happy to allow (encourage??) them passage through France and the illegal border camps just exacerbate this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with that the U.K. allows controlled immigration and certainly genuine refugees.
    But we must start taking control of our borders, if it’s not too late already.

18. And..
    I agree that the earlier racist rant post from guns n bombs what’shisface needs deleting.

19. I don't think this is particular to France. Most will have been promised a land of gold and free everything. These people on the whole are not the countries most wanted for skills, some are the most wanted for criminal reasons but most will be lowly educated, lowly skilled and some of the most unprepared people to face a western way of life culture shock.

Most will never be able too or will struggle greatly with, even the most basics of language change. This restricts them greatly for employment so many will either be unemployed or will revert to what they know. Many of the areas set aside for them will be mini migrant developments so you get little libya, little syria etc etc. Within those cultures and reverting to type, the black market is a huge part of how they see a way to survive.

Personally with so many being sold a pup by the people smugglers, with very little in a way of moving forward and many feeling trapped, I wonder if we should be using more of the resource they use, into offering those who wish to go back, to help them do so as for many it seems, it has been a trip they wish they had not made.

20. Maybe some of these people are persuaded by people smugglers that the UK is a better place that France. Possibly some of these people have relatives in the UK. It might be that the UK is a better place than France to live - most people (not all) on this forum seem to think so.

Regardless if I had been living here

homs.jpg syria.jpg

My sisters had been taken as sex slaves, my life totally fu*cked up and we all had the possibility of being beheaded by a medieval maniac, a dinghy ride to England would not be too much of a worry. I bet most of you would do the same.

• Agree Agree x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information