1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cucciolo T2 - At The Risk Of Opening The Popcorn, Which Oil?

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Hotblack Desiato, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ok so I know a what oil should I use question normally results in people kicking back, opening a beer and eating popcorn but this is a serious question!
    I want to put oil in my t2 rebuild that works and is appropriate to its early 1950s vintage. I guess it would have had a fairly thick mineral oil, Shell being recommended, so definitely no synthetics but are there any Cucciolo owners who can recommend a brand and type that works and doesn't compromise the basic clutch etc....? Thanks for any sensible suggestions...

2. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Robarano, you are a very naughty boy!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. This site PAGE 38. Cucciolo History: Rocher & the Elvish | www.Cyclemaster.co.uk may be useful for you if you were not already aware of it. For the T2 engine from the late 50s Ducati recommended using Motul Century oil. If you have a look Century is one of the first multigrade oils ever made and is a forerunner to the Motul 300v oil some of us use in our Ducatis. They originally suggested running a thick oil in the summer and 'less dense' in the winter! A basic multigrade like GTX is probably perfectly adequate and substantially better than the stuff it was originally run with. If you really want to run something 'authentic' Silkolene Chatsworth is probably as close as you will get. 13.5 fl oz (350-400ml) is the quantity specified for the T2 engine

5. Superb thanks Denzil that is brilliant. I haven't seen that link before either so more resources to help me bring this tiddler back to life, much appreciated.

6. I've always found that lawnmowers run fine with straight 30W from an agricultural supplies merchant. I have one with a Briggs & Stratton engine that has been OK for more than 20 years with that, and I don't even bother to change it every year.

7. Thanks Recidivist that's a great tip. I'll see what the local supply shop has to offer before making my choice

Do Not Sell My Personal Information