1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cush Drive Rubber Bush Position Depth

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by chueewowee, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Can you tell me how your cush drive to sprocket carrier is set?

I'm replacing the cush drive pins and rubbers on my '97 supersport, I put the new rubber bushes in flush to the hub, but offering up the sprocket carrier with drive pins in place, I see the bushes may not be in deep enough. From the photo your can see a gap of 3mm..in the photo link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2n1ptrhuu34645/ducati cush drive sprocket carrier.jpg?dl=0

I guess the sprocket carrier flanges should be flush up against the hub boss, which would mean setting the bushes deeper.

#1 chueewowee, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. The bushes sit just under the lip of the hole they sit in. So approx 1mm below the outer edge They are not deep. I'm not at my house this weekend but iirc there is a gap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cheers, Good recollection you have - I also recall them being set at about 1mm below. I pushed them in a little further - the method was push a little deeper, and gauge by eye. A gap remained between sprocket carrier flange and hub boss. The wheel slid in nicely.

Certainly not rocket science, and I reckon the wheel would have slid in without setting them deeper - possibly torquing the wheel axle would also tend push them bushes into place, assuming they are not too tight a fit. My old ones were very tight, a screw tool and heat only managed to pull the inner sleeve out, and I had to remove the rubbers before pulling out the outer race with a blind hole puller and heat. Tough job.

The result is a very nice and tight cush drive; pins were also replaced, these showed more obvious wear than the bushes, but in spite of the tough nature of replacing them, I didn't want a half measure there.

4. I did mine when I got my wheels powdercoated as the powdercoaters told me they would get damaged in the process. A pig of a job to do. One of the worst jobs I've had to do although satisfying when it's done. Good to now they are new bushes in there though. Gives you piece of mind

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information