1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom oil cooler lines...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dukedesmo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. I'm fitting a large, single oil cooler to my Monster (previously was using two small coolers) under the front cylinder as this gives me better airflow to the rear cylinder which gets quite hot.

I've got a Ducati oil cooler that, supposedly is from a 1098(R)? but it is bigger than a standard 1098 cooler and has better (for my application) mounting brackets as it fits to a Monster rocker cover mount and doesn't sit too far forwards like the standard 1098 cooler does (without making extra offset brackets). It even looks the part due to not needing any adaptor brackets.

This cooler has push-in fittings that require a special oil line (1098R I believe) however the Ducati lines that fit it are too long by around 25mm so that the cooler is inclined too far forwards.

'S' bending the hose so that it sits in the right place means the hoses are too bent plus they just spring the cooler back forwards again.

What I need are a pair of lines about 25mm shorter (standard 1098 line length would be good), does anyone know if such a part is available or someone who could make or supply the parts to make them?

Any ideas?

Pics to show what I mean;

Cooler fitted showing how far forward it sits due to line length;

[​IMG]

How much 'S' bend required to sit vertical;

[​IMG]

This much too long;

[​IMG]

Oil line showing push-in fitting and line length next to standard 1098 type (shorter) line;

[​IMG]

2. I bought one of those for the900ss, and yes I went to Pirtek, who in my case rebrazed the fittings onto a standard spigot.

For you, they should be able to just take the hose apart shorten it and redo the swage crimp on the end.

what fittings do you have on the engine side, because if its the standard screw on fittings then you can get the right ones for the engine from a ducati dealer and they will screw straight in as they're M14's- which had I asked the question first, I wouldn't have gone to pirtek to get all the brazing work done!

3. The fittings in the engine are the newer type Ducati fittings with the two small green 'O' rings as shown in the last pic, although I also have the older type fittings if necessary but I prefer the later type.

If the older fitting can just be swaged on then that's the best solution as long as there's enough length left after cutting the hose?

4. exactly that. You'll probably find that under the braid is a PTFE hose rather than a braided rubber hose, so it'll be very short work for them to correct yours.

It might be worth them just making up another hose and put your fittings in there, as then at least you still have your original hose lengths should you ever want to retrofit your original coolers, or even sell them on, as whoever buys them would just have to provide fittings.

5. was going to say Pirtek, they fixed my JCB a few times

6. Since Pirtek have a local branch I'll call in and see what they can do, hopefully something but I think Ducati use a specific type of fitting that maybe others don't have.

7. That fitting is unique to ducati as far as I know, but they can make up a set of new length lines and take yours apart for the fitting, or just shorten your hoses :upyeah:

8. Job done, called at the local Pirtek and whilst they don't have those fittings they had a suitable ferrule that they could swage on to the existing fitting after cutting 25mm off.

Perfect;

[​IMG]

Just need to make a guard for the cooler now.

:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wouldn't be interested in parting with the monster valve cover that holds the oil cooler???:wink:

10. Not at the moment, I might go back yet...

11. Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I think it needs to be updated.

I found this thread a week or so ago whilst looking for something else, but it reminded me that the Oil hoses I'd fitted with the 1098 Oil cooler to my 900SS project were too long, had a big 'S' in them, and pushed the cooler forward. I've used a ST3 Cam cover with fabricated bracket by the way.

Anyway, I cut the old Ferrules off, shortened the hoses and trotted off to my local Pirtek yesterday afternoon, and then Hyphose, only to be told by both that they can't refit old fittings any more because of recent legislation.
    No commercial operation will be able to do it officially.

Luckily I have a friendly marine engineer locally who was prepared to let me use his gear to do my own crimp, but I didn't want anyone else to fall into the same trap I did after reading this thread.

Nasher.

#15 Nasher, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
Do Not Sell My Personal Information