1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Yoke

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Borgo Panigale, Oct 19, 2018.

1. My Freddie Spencer Rep is a bit of a hybrid with a monoshocked frame, Ohlins shock, Fireblade forks & swingarm, CBR600 wheels for 17" rubber and a Suzuki GSX1100 EFE motor taken out to 1230cc..

It did however have a major issue, due to shorter than standard forks and 17" wheels, as opposed to the original long, spindly, forks and 19" front and 18" rear wheels in the CB900FA chassis, so the bike sat much lower than standard and would grind the exhaust on tight right handers. I had to cut short a track day before it ended in tears at TyCroes after lifting the rear wheel 3 times as the exhaust decked hard. I changed that exhaust for one that seemed to give more clearance, but soon found its limits at Spa. After much thought, I decided that the answer was going be to get a stepped top yoke made, rather than find and fit longer forks which would then, no doubt, mean other engineering work to make a front wheel spindle, spacers, caliper mounting brackets etc..

I found Top Yokes https://www.topyokes.uk/ near Lancaster who make replacement yokes, but to standard patterns, they sell off the shelf replacements for standard yokes for what I thought was a very reasonable £140.00. However, I wanted a yoke that would give me a 40mm step, enabling me to lift the front end by up to 1.5" in an effort to finally cure the heart-stopping clang and scrape, each time wondering if we were staying on, or coming off... Top Yokes referred me to PG Engineering, (who shares their industrial unit), as Peter (07980 366378) makes bespoke CNC parts mainly for motocrossers. I discussed my requirements, based on the standard Fireblade centres and was quoted about a week's lead time and £180.00, both of which I was delighted with.

It went straight on and its first test came at the recent track day at RAF Valley... no more scraping, decking, or noticeable change in handing which has otherwise always been excellent after I had it set up by TW Suspension. I'll take it back to Teut at TW and get it dialled in properly, but I have to say that if you need a yoke making, you could waste a lot of time and money finding anyone better than Peter at PG Engineering
    IMG_3025[1].JPG IMG_3002[1].JPG
    In the paddock at Spa (above) with the standard yoke (below)

IMG_3304[1].JPG
    New top yoke from PG Engineering
    IMG_3457[1].JPG IMG_3460[1].JPG IMG_3842[1].JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nice product and fab price - I was going to use them for exactly that reason on my KR1000 but I think I'm ok now...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice

Those braided brake and cooler hoses look a bit chafy..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes, they were, well spotted! The pic was taken the moment i'd finished fitting the yoke. I put some plastic tube over the brake lines, pro temps and a shorter bolt in the yoke, (getting some slightly longer lines made - the bike was on a headstock paddock stand, so forks at maximum extension for the photo and the lines were tight as the bars were an inch or so higher). The oil cooler hoses are being replaced now with slightly longer, re-routed, black nylon braided hoses.

5. What a cool looking bike.Nice one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Does PG engineering has a site or do you have a email adresse please?

Henk!!!

7. Hello Henk

Apologies for the delay in replying, I was away for a few days and couldn't access my email, no website that I have found, but yes, Pete has an email address, it's
    [email protected]

8. Ok,thank you.

Henk!!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information