1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Cut Out In Neutral And Other Gripes

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by bigjimmyb, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Hi folks. I recently acquired a 1098s. Have had a few issues, including a broken shift mechanism spring, now all sorted. Bike has a HM quick shifter and I’m finding that:

Selecting gears in ‘clunky’
    Bike cuts out when I select neutral
    Bike drops back into neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd

Can anyone help? I’m thinking maybe the shift linkage needs adjusting.....?

Thanks in advance.

2. who changed the spring......
    who and how did they set up the shift mechanism..
    was the 1098s you acquired an ex track bike thats been used with a Q/S and the gearbox is now FUBAR...

3. Hi Andy.

Gearbox is fine as far as I can tell.
    I do think she’s seen some track time though!

Local mechanic did the springs inside the casing. Perhaps the shift linkage (attached to pedal, excuse my lack of mechanical know how!) needs adjustment?

cant find anything useful on forums or YouTube etc....

4. Normally the linkages and the arms attached should be around 90 degrees for physics to do it's thing, but unless yours is miles off, I'm not sure that's it, although is the easiest first step needing just a few basic tools so no harm in checking.

5. Thanks Andy. I’ll have a look.

6. the levers around the springs on the inside need setting correctly..... your local mechanic up to speed?

7. He’s a good guy but not necessarily au fait with all things Ducati. I’ve got another contact who used to race them and probably knows them better. I’ll give him a shout.
    I’ve found 1st to 2nd is better if I’m firmer on the shift up. I did 60 miles last night and it only dropped into neutral the once.
    Still cuts out when I get neutral whilst at a standstill, sometimes I get the N light but not always. TBH I can live with that, I’ll call it ‘character’

Do Not Sell My Personal Information