1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D16 - First Ride

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Saalagora, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Fortunately the weather was okay today and I managed to avoid meetings so could pop back home for a couple of hours at lunch to take the bike out for the first time.

Sat upon the bike in my drive I was pretty nervous. Expensive bike with a reputation for not suffering fools. What if I couldn't ride it properly? What if it was a disappointment or I didn't like it?

Within a short distance of pulling away it felt different to anything I have ridden before. Front on the bike feels very agile and slightly unstable. Turning it feels a bit odd.

It is stiff. Even with the supposedly softer springs it is pretty unforgiving. I took it down a local lane that is really bumpy. Had me almost out the saddle a couple of times. Not much worse than my 899 though.

I thought after 5 minutes that comfort was going to be a problem but actually after 90 mins I was still fine.

The noise is not like anything I have experienced. Very mechanical. Very noisy. Actually quite rough. Nothing like the silky smooth lump in the S1000R.

Given that it is new to me and it was quite cold (and there is no TC) I didn't push it much. Just started to get confident enough to give it more revs and wider throttle openings. Seems like a bike you really have to take time to learn. I tested a GSXR 750 a few weeks back. It was brilliant on the road but it felt comfortable like a pair of old slippers after just 5 miles. Not sure I will ever get that feeling with the Desmo.

It don't think it likes cruising around. To me it felt much better when I started to get a bit more aggressive with it - powering through the bends or giving it some acceleration (rather than constant speed).

The gearing isn't great for the road. First is high and so is second. Only got above third on a couple of occasions as felt like it was bogging down a bit.

Fuel light came on after 60 miles. Ouch!

In summary: it is an amazing bit of kit but I am going to need much more time on it to reach a considered verdict (and have a half chance of mastering it).

Signing off so I can go and look at it in the garage :)

• Like Like x 12
  2. IMG_1249.JPG

• Like Like x 18
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Stunning mate

You're a lucky boy, enjoy it!

I'd love to have a go on one, one day!

4. Awesome & great to see it being used instead of being an expensive ornament - respect to you sir!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Beautiful!!

6. Saal watch your nukes fat fingers
    You just nuked ^^^^^^^

7. Forget about the higher gears for now and just thrash the granny out of it in the first two gears - you'll be its master then!

Great bike I'd love one! :upyeah:

8. It's like watching a kid on Christmas day. :)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. So true!

Overall I have been pretty lucky in life (at least since I met my wife 28 years ago - was shit before that), but last few years have been a bit difficult. Had to have surgery following an accident and had a acute reaction to the antibiotics they gave me. About the same time I was made redundant. Moving back to the UK, moving house three times, trying to find something to do. All hugely stressful. Seem to have got my life stable again and rewarding myself with some toys. So yes, do feel like a kid that just got the keys to the sweet shop.

• Like Like x 12
  10. I've just found this. He never really gives it the beans, but I forgot exactly what they sound like. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 6

11. Had to listen twice :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mmm. That captures the exhaust note quite well but doesn't seem to pick up the host of other mechanical noises that seem to emanate from the bike when you are riding it. Certainly feels very raw.

13. Beneath 6-7k it is a pussycat. 7-12k is doable on the road ... things get lively and the noise overwhelms. Get on a big track with a longish straight where there is space to rev it out from 12-16k and it is like Armageddon. The whole bike shakes and screams like a rabid thing - it genuinely feels like it is trying to kill you. I thought my 996SPS had a bonkers top-end but the D16 is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sounds fun! Sort of answers the question I had about how high is it safe to rev the D16 to. When I went for my ride I didn't have time between getting the bike and riding it to read the owner's manual so had no idea of the rev limit so don't think I hit more than 12k.

15. You'll need to find a private road with a bit of space ... then the easiest way to find the rev limit is to open the throttle all the way till you bounce off it ;-)

Hold on tight mind - you are in for quite a ride ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Another day in paradise

IMG_0047.JPG

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information