1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dainese Smart Jacket / Vest ..... Anyone Got One ?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Dibble, Dec 23, 2019.

1. I have the D Air street jacket that connects to the bike. Have wrn it for about 3k miles, battery lasts all day long and seems a good bit of kit.

I hope to never try the safety features.

2. Alpinestars is just launching an equivalent vest, called the Tech-Air 5. It's got greater airbag coverage than the D-Air Smart, but the Dainese's on sale now and the Tech-Air 5 isn't on sale until March.

I prefer the Tech-Air generally, because it gives more airbag protection. Also, it doesn't rely on a GPS signal like the D-Air.

Obviously, the only way to know what suits you is to try both on and discover which fits better. I tried on a D-Air and Tech-Air to compare them: although the D-Air was lighter, the Tech-Air felt comfier because it was a better fit for me. YMMV. The weight disappears if it's the right fit.

#3 Freerange_egg, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. Looks like you might get a bit toasty on euro gigs with this.
    I use the tech air vest that zips into leathers. It adds a bit of weight but the design is pretty good. You don’t know it’s there once you’ve zipped up and the front is open which gives good ventilation on the move.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I wear the Helite version, http://www.lovelifeandride.com/shop/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9d-r8v3X5gIViaztCh2PGw-hEAAYASAAEgL81_D_BwE. Currently the vest is triggered by a physical attachment to the bike but Helite recently launched an electronic version that is due next year. Biggest difference for me is the size of the air bag over the shoulders. The Helite limits the movement of your head from side to side and front to back which the Dainese would appear not to. The UK chap I use is in Wokingham and you can try before you buy. Andy

5. Ordered the Smart vest the other week and sent it straight back. Wouldn’t fit under any of my jackets, was really bulky and surprisingly heavy.
    Like the concept, and will either get a jacket with air bag tech built into the design OR wait for the third generation vests to be launched.

6. I've got the d air jacket and I'm really pleased with it You need a size bigger than your normal jacket, but then I have found it comfortable, well made, with good quality leather, and simple to use.
    I don't know whether it works as I've not fortunately needed it yet It's grand in the summer over a t shirt, or through the winter with a hoodie under and a goretex shell over. I've shelved my rukka and may well sell it.
    It feels as expensive as it is to me.

7. Thanks for the replies gents, looks like its not feasible for track work, there seem to be a couple of track option, the Ixon for example but they also require a secondary subscription / purchase for the brain that runs them from In&Motion which ramps the cost, I don't want an external one like the Helite so will hold off for a while .... may look at a new suit !!!!

8. For track work it's 2 choices. Dianese or Alpinestars and their respective air vest systems. Forget the rest.

9. Indeed, I already have a Dainese One Pice suit and when they release the track version of this vest its likely to be my solution, struggling to justify nearly 1800-2000 on a new integrated suit ....

10. What size are you? My mate's got the bells and whistles Dianese Air for sale. He wore it for one session (20 minutes) and didn't like the fit across his chest.

11. Thats f***ing personal on an open forum!!!!

Short and fat ;-)

Current suit is an EU56 .....

• Love You Love You x 1
  12. Can't even remember what size mine is.... I think it's a EU54. I'm 5'11" and 85kg. Solid muscle of course. Anyhow, he's about my size. I'll contact him if you're interested :):upyeah:

13. No harm in asking :)

I'm far left, as you can see, very svelte .....

[​IMG]

14. Ok, I'll ask him what size they are :):upyeah:

15. The original AVA van hire..

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Anyone tried the Dianese DAir street vest ? No connection & no extra subscription, fits under or over jacket...... serious thinking of getting one, any thoughts appreciated

17. At first pass, looking at the Dainese web site, the street jacket looks to have less neck support on inflation than the Helite which should be available later this year with blue tooth initiation instead of the physical tether. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  18. I like the Dianese over the Helite as it's more an under jacket bit of kit, will keep an eye out for the new one from helite, thanks

19. I have a real issue with wearing something that is supposed to expand, under a jacket I already have that is for me, shall I say, a comfortable fit. When you look at the built in ensemble, the jackets have expansion pleats. Hope you sort something out that works for you. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information