1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Damage To Pannier

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Twin4me, Jul 27, 2019.

1. I dropped the bike in France earlier in the year and it rolled over on the pannier. I'm guessing that I'll probably have to replace the lid and infilled panel (if I can buy this separately). But just on the off chance does anyone have any suggestions of how to repair this or at least make it look less grim?

IMG_6104.JPG IMG_6103.JPG IMG_6105.JPG

2. Use a modern body filler and then wrap the box. I believe infill panels are available individually through your dealer. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. You can buy the covers (top and bottom), don't need the whole lid. Had the same problem myself.

If you pm me I'll see if have the receipts from Ducati

4. The OE panniers are pretty rubbish actually. I have them on my 2017 and had them previously on my 2015... they mark super easily and are side loading / funny shape... so I swapped out for Givi Trekker Outback, great durable boxes and a lot more useable space. Scaffolding is quick-release and practically non-existent when off the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Did they save the bike from damage?

6. I'm watching this with interest, as I was with Chris when his bike toppled, and then I did virtually the same thing the next day with similar damage:mad:
    I'm not a fan of big aluminium boxes on the grounds of aesthetics and filtering. I like the OE panniers because they look as good as any pannier can and the integrated mounting system is genius.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. In my case yes apart from a handguard that needing replacing after the drop.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'll be honest, I've never worried about superficial damage to panniers. If there is a painted element to them the I've simply used heli tape to give them some level of protection.

They are meant to get a bang, gash, gravel slide or even a moment of protecting the bike and for me were used just for touring so rarely saw sunlight apart from that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I've used peanut butter before but got fed up of the kids licking the bike

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. I've marked panniers after a topple over but nothing as bad as yours. I used wet and dry paper to get rid of the worst of the scratches. The problem is that the standard finish is matt and slightly rough, so filling and painting isn't going to work that well. I didn't attempt to fill the damage and used a wire brush to rough up the plastic to get a similar finish.

I'd say you were going to need to replace the damaged parts.

The installation instructions for the OEM panniers include a parts list at the back:
    upload_2019-7-27_14-29-43.png

upload_2019-7-27_14-30-4.png

upload_2019-7-27_14-30-30.png

upload_2019-7-27_14-30-47.png

The black plastic lid covers are about 40 Euro from KFM Motorraede:
    I've now found these parts are cheaper on the Star Twin Motors website:
    • Item 7 Cover External R/H 69812341A Link to Web Page €37.99
    • Item 20 Cover External L/H 69812351A Link to Web Page €37.99
    A set of the painted covers (Iceberg White 96780671A ) are £122.46 on the Ducati UK Website

The Star Twin Motors online parts list of the panniers (left / right) has different part numbers for the cover, depending on colour (the original installation instructions may just be for the silver painted covers which were shipped as standard on the early 2015 models).

The KFM Motorraede and Star Twin Motors websites shows that painted covers are available separately:
    • Item 8 Cover External R/H 69812361BC €58,87 / €54.28
    • Item 21 Cover External L/H 69812371BC €58,87 / €54.28
    The Ducati Sticker [43819301A] is €12,99 / €11.98

The Star Twin Motor prices are slightly lower. KFM Motorraede have a flat €18.00 delivery charge to the UK. Star Twin Motors delivery charge depends on order value as well destination country.

Obviously you may be able to source all the parts in the UK and get an overall better price.

Hope this helps.

#12 steveb123, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Just fill and flat the panniers and paint them both with some plastic paint. They'll both match then.

12. You could make.the exact same scratches on the other side

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. If those are the silver infill panels I have a pair you can have, PM me and will post them out, just cover the cost of the postage :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Are they the Nonfango panniers ?
    They came as standard with my ST4 and are very stylish ,
    and pretty good aerodynamically ..... the locking system is great .
    I had Krausers back in my BMW days and I like the Nonfango system much better .

My major gripe with them was that if you took them off and put them on a pavement , they had a real tendency to roll over .... and ALWAYS onto the painted side !

@steveb123 ..... I agree ..... good sites !
    KFM Motorraede and Star Twin Motors can be very competitive on prices ....
    definitely good suppliers for Ducati parts .

15. With the standard panniers fitted I broke the hand guard (who doesn't) and scratched the tank. When I had similar off last year (without panniers) I bent the back brake and actually fractured the footrest casting.

So in answer they did 'sort of' protect the bike.

I'm not usually this clumsy!

16. Thanks for the links Steve, very helpful
    I costed it up on Star Twins Motors - I need the white panel, outer panel and sticker, although I could try prising mine off first.
    The total cost with shipping would be €158.64 (€26.86 shipping)

I might get them costed up by my dealer first and see what that comes to.

17. Just to update this old thread, the parts cost me £115.32 from my Ducati dealer, and you can't prise the sticker off!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information