1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dangerous Cut Out. Watch It!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rover, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Hi all,

That was in the middle of a dual carriage in the right lane at night. After all the "little niggles" to own a ducati, it is just done for me as this should be treated as highly unsafe issue. just spent Sat Afternoon dealing with the clutch slave cylinder as the joy of riding back home with no clutch and now this.
    Reading some info about the clutch slave cylinder, it says in the service manual that replacement is recommended as the unit is not repairable due to unsafe condition it could offer to rider.
    Wow! HOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE THEN!? If happened 10 min earlier I was in a country road and the only way to not cause an accident would be throwing the bike down the vertical drop edge of the narrow road I was.

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Jaybus, @Rover I would be demanding a full diagnostic report & explanation for this life-threatening video-taped cutout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. That's terrifying, good capture of the issue and lucky that there wasn't too much traffic in lane #1. Armed with that I hope that Ducati have no choice but to fully investigate and find a resolution.

Had similar on a German autobahn with my MV in terms of engine dying. Was passing a line of trucks at speed so something of a brown trouser moment. It was the side stand switch which was promptly disconnected until I got home where I stripped and cleaned it. One of the three electrical failures on that tour that saw me get rid of it and buy the 1260. Yours looks like a total shut-down and seems, I guess, to be ignition circuit related. Seems others have had the same, as you're well aware.

4. That's worrying, especially if you were overtaking a coach or lorry!!!

5. The first thought after pulling over was the side stand switch as it was covered in brake fluid a day before when trying to sort the clutch slaver cylinder leaking like hell.
    However it would cut the ignition not a total shut down like this I think.
    Will speak and show to the dealer today.

6. Wasn't there another thread about this, last week?

Was it another person and there are multiple bikes with the issue, or was it you?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had a very similar issue, the bike cut out on me in the same manner on a French motorway about 4 times.
    I'd fitted a USB tank bag connector before the trip so I removed that. We also pulled the main fuse, waited a few minutes before replacing it and restarting the bike.
    This seemed to fix the issue, the next day I went to a Ducati dealer in Toulouse and they plugged it in but it showed no faults, likewise when I returned home I got my dealer to check but again it had logged no faults.

It never happened again but it was a worry at the time, actually being on a motorway was probably better to happen there rather than a twisty mountain road...

8. A similar thread. Not the same person or case.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Very interesting then...

10. I think they wouldn't find anything as well. Noticed how the bike electrics fired back on without me touching anything? Came back home very worried and prepared to pull over any time but it didn't happen again.

11. The problem you will face is the computer not being able to log a fault because of its own rapid power failure. You'd need a separate, redundant system that logs fault codes to a separate computer.

They will not find a code and will simply be shrugging shoulders as to what it could be (as per the other thread)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Not good and well handled on the road.

No idea if this could be worth a look / try, a friend had a GS that a couple of times after we had a stop on ride was then dead when he went to start it, no lights, nothing, couldn't see anything wrong with battery terminals or connectors. leave it for 15 minutes and then it would come to life! This happened twice and the after the second time the BMW dealer changed out the battery, never happened again. Some weird fault with the sealed battery when it would just die and then come back to life.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. hi mate my 2018 enduro pro did the same thing. cut out four times in one day. protwins changed the right hand switch gear, havnt ridden it since. dont trust it anymore. good luck with it pal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  14. My attempt to ride up to P&H this morning failed miserably. Bike started well and no issues for the first 10miles. Then started again cutting out many times. Tried to get back home and the U turn on a roundabout nearly took me to the floor. Started again and pushed to a lay by. Call AA, waiting time that I couldn't afford (because I was not in a dangerous position on the road!)
    Pushed back home with another multiple cuts and will wait AA here whenever they can attend.
    Now, noticed that everytime it cuts out, the steering lock tries to lock itself. And if I steer and allow it to do, it locks and after few sec the dash starts on its own. And cuts, and starts, and cuts....
    I need an exorcist, not gonna ride that Demon again!

15. Film it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I assume that you've checked that the battery terminals are secure?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. To be honest my wording of 'cutout' should really be died. My own bike has cutout at junctions pulling away from what I can only describe as not giving it any rev's. This video shows the electrics fully switched off & at proper motorway speed too boot. Frightening'

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yes, did it. Actually now I have just disconnected the negative terminal as the bike can't stop switching on and off every 10sec. It's becoming weirder.

19. Agreed! The entire thing shuts down.

20. I wonder if the Key transponder has a fault, with it shutting down so complete. Weird about steering lock trying to activate though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information