1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darmah Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Stuart Hunt, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Decided to rebuild my 1982 Darmah. Started this about 25 years ago, prompted by a main bearing rumble at 32,000 miles. I gave the engine to a chap named Rick Walker who rebuilt it for me. I got the engine back with a carrier bag full of all the parts he replaced, which I still have.
    25 years later, thought I'd better get on with the job! Got the thing thing all stripped down now.

Odd problem, the frame does not have a VIN stamped on it. Anyone know why this might be? Does this mean the frame has been replaced?

Stu

2. I hope you've still got the V5 which should show a frame number. If you haven't and there really is no frame number you will have hard time convincing the DVLA. @Fire3500 had problem with a MHR where the frame number differed from that on the V5 and he had a helluva job convincing them.
    The frame number is usually located on the rear engine plate above the swinging arm pivot on the left hand side.
    This one from a MHR.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 12.16.57.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh yes indeed. In my case it looks like the original supplying dealer had confused to frame numbers with two registration documents meaning that mine wore the wrong frame number its entire life which was picked up only when I tried to re-register post computerisation… DVLA original wanted me to put a Q plate on the Hailwood and re-stamp the frame! It took a lot of arguments but perseverance will get you there.

4. Can't remember as it was many years ago but have you checked to see if anything is stamped on the headstock?

5. Thanks, I'll have a look down there. V5 no problem. It's been regitered to me for about 30 years now.

6. I had this with my Susuki 1200 Bandit that I bought brand new and owned all my life, still do. The bike shop mucked up registering it and a 5 got read as and 8, or maybe the other way round. Instead of simply correcting what was clearly a clerical error at the bike shop they made me produce the bike for inspection and asigned it a different registration that was two years younger than the bike was. It was the last digit so I recon there was another bike in the same shop they didn't shift for a year or two which then got my original plate. Utterly stupid!

7. Yep, rather makes a mockery of the system eh?

8. Yup! That'll be where it is! Picture paints a thousand words. No idea why us monkeys didn't look look a bit harder. Must've been covered in grease, yes that'll be it. Ta V much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information