1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darmah Ssd

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by V7John, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Hi, I'm new here. I'm John from Wales, a long-time owner of 1970s Guzzis. Atlthough it wasn't what I was looking for, I've come accross a V-reg 900 SSD Darmah which hasn't been run for ages. Possibly since 1998. It's all there but looks a bit sad. The engine block is white and furry. The fairing is on the bike and the tank and seat unit stored seperately to stop them getting nocked about. It has Conti silencers. I'm considering whether to approach the owner about buying the bike but would value any advice you might have.

I doubt it would start but the engine's not seized and I assume it would need a strip down before even thinking about cranking it over. As far as I know it was just parked up and left. There wasn't a mechanical problem that forced it to be laid up.

Should I leave it, walk away and let the owner break it for spares, as has been muted, or take the plunge and make him an offer? I'm not even sure how much that offer should be. What does the team think?

I'm pretty handy in the workshop and have totally rebuilt bikes before. Most recently it's been Moto Guzzis which are mechanically much more simple. I have another contact who says he has the necessary special tools left over from his racing days.

What is a running Darmah SSD worth these days? In the past I've offered about a third for a non-running project.

This is the last bike I rebuilt. It's the Guzzi I've owned since 1978! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hiya John, welcome to the f’rum, it’s a small world.

Someone with some expertise will be along soon to help you out I’m sure.

I normally use the car and classic vehicle sales website to guage prices. One thing that seems tiring true though is there is nowt as expensive as a cheap old Ducati.

Lovely old Guzzi you have there. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I would offer him a couple of grand and see what happens. While these aren't fetching the same money as an SS the prices are being dragged up slowly as the more exotic models rise.
    It would be a shame to break it, there is nothing difficult with working on the engine unless you want to change the bottom end bearings.

4. Hi, I'm new here. I'm John from Wales
    • Hi!
    Atlthough it wasn't what I was looking for, I've come accross a V-reg 900 SSD Darmah which hasn't been run for ages. Possibly since 1998. It's all there but looks a bit sad.
    • Lucky boy!
    The engine block is white and furry.
    • That'll come back... Autosol works wonders
    The fairing is on the bike and the tank and seat unit stored seperately to stop them getting nocked about.
    • Good good.
    It has Conti silencers.
    • Rusty? Those might be accessory parts as I *think* the Darmah would have had Silentiums (need to Google that and check my facts)
    I'm considering whether to approach the owner about buying the bike but would value any advice you might have.
    • Go now, before someone else does.
    I doubt it would start but the engine's not seized and I assume it would need a strip down before even thinking about cranking it over.
    • Depends, check the dipstick... if the oil is at the correct level then you might be OK. If it's way over the line (e.g. fuel taps left open) then perhaps get expert advice. Otherwise, still get someone Bevel-literate and have them sensitively recommission the engine. You don't strip these lightly.
    As far as I know it was just parked up and left. There wasn't a mechanical problem that forced it to be laid up.

Should I leave it, walk away and let the owner break it for spares, as has been muted, or take the plunge and make him an offer? I'm not even sure how much that offer should be. What does the team think?
    • If you're not going to, can I give you my number to let him have? :)
    I'm pretty handy in the workshop and have totally rebuilt bikes before. Most recently it's been Moto Guzzis which are mechanically much more simple. I have another contact who says he has the necessary special tools left over from his racing days.
    • Same, but I still let someone who knew Bevels look at my MHR and who is also checking over my 860GT for me. A rebuild is too dear and the bikes are too precious to ham-fistedly have at it and learn by making mistakes.
    What is a running Darmah SSD worth these days? In the past I've offered about a third for a non-running project.
    • A nicely restored one went in my local for £11k this year. A project at less than £4k would be daylight robbery.
    This is the last bike I rebuilt. It's the Guzzi I've owned since 1978!
    • Lovely :)
    I'm sure someone'll be along to correct me presently... ;)

5. Thanks for the input and Oldrat fancy meeting you here! I think "proper money" will be needed to buy the bike. The owner knows what he has got and said he could get £500 for the camshaft which I would expect to be a bit on the low side. If the bike costs me £4k and then I need the same to get it roadworthy (but not restored) then I'll struggle to do it. I would want to make it useable not something to win a concours. £4K plus another £2k would be more achievable without causing a domestic crisis. The silencers are engraved with "Conti" but appeared to be stainless. I guess they could be replicas.

6. Keihin used to do that until they got their knuckles rapped.

Do it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information