1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Gear Indicator Error?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Anthil, Jul 8, 2012.

1. On the way back from Silverstone yesterday I noticed the dash gear indicator was on showing 5th so went to select 6th but was already in it. Started to play around going up & down the box, did see 6 a couple of times before it flicked back to 5 whilst still in 6th. Stopped & re-booted but no difference & then it would only show 1-4, not 5 or 6. It did rain quite a lot whilst at the Circuit & on the way home so I'm think maybe water in the dash as the gear indicator doesn't seem to work off of revs like retro fit ones do but actual gear selection.

Has anyone experienced similar?

2. If in second select neutral and sometimes the dash still indicates second, I think this is down to setup of gear indicator, its something that is being looked at when it goes in for service on Wednesday I will update if there is anything found.

3. Hey thats a bit of a pain not knowing what gear your in....is it still rideable ?:wink:

• WTF WTF x 1
  4. :wink:
    Doesn't say anything in the handbook about the need to be able to count, something else I've got to learn:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. When it says that its in the wrong gear, whats physically happening ? - are you in the actual gear shown or did u miss-shift ?

Its common knowledge that going from 5th to 6th sometimes it miss-shifts, meaning that u push the pedal but it stays in fitfh or a shows 6th but its a false neutral.

After 15k miles I have got used to this and put it down to being too light-footed with the gear selection, so a good prod usually does it and it happens maybe once or twice per month nowadays so no real issue.

So are you applying sufficient pressure on the gear selector ?

bugs

- actually just re-read your top post, are you saying that you are managing to ride through the 1-2-3-4-5-6 gears and the dash is only displaying up to 4th ?

6. Maybe an issue with chain tension? Easy to check.

7. Doesn't sound like an electronics/dash fault to me, I'd expect that to be more random? Could be a mechanical problem with the actual gear position sensor switch and/or the mechanism that activates the switch? i.e. the switch is failing to be activated on selection of 5th/6th?
    Having said that, you mentioned riding in heavy rain, GS12's had an issue with the connector to the gear position sensor switch getting water in and causing erroneous dash readouts. The switch/connector on the MTS12 is item 6 on the diagram below (although the key to the diagram describes (6) as Nipple ROFL
    ...but again I'd expect the fault to be more random i.e. strange that only 5th and 6th not showing.

[​IMG]

#7 AndyW, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  8. Thanks for the replies.

I could go up & down through the box from 1st - 6th OK but the gear indicator on dash woud initially only show up to 5th & after a bit of playing only 4th but I was actually in 6th.

I did wonder Andy if it was domething to do with the switch/connector as there was heavey rain & without the CAT that area is a little exposed.

Anyway, a further update is that I got it out Sunday, started up & ran up through the box to 6th (whilst stationary) with all gears showing correctly on dash indicator so it does look like it was either a dash or switch connector issues duw to water. Guess it just something to keep an eye on.

9. Let us know the culprit as and when Tony ;-)

10. Just had the 2yr service and the gear position sensor was checked at the same time, no fault found, as I have had issues with neutral indication on the dash the dash will be replaced this should clear the position/neutral fault indications, the dealer is waiting for a replacement when its fitted I will update again.

11. Recently developed the same issue...gear indicator reads 6 for a split second then goes to 5 and stays there when your in 6th gear.Minor issue as all my previous bikes didn't have gear indicators.

12. Mine seems to have righted it's self for now so think it was probably "water in the electrics" related due to the rain.

Has yours got wet recently?

13. Bike only gets wet when I wash it.

14. Mine only gets wet when it rains

15. Nothing worse than a water soaked nipple.

16. Who mentioned nipples?!...........you been on the whackey baccy again Marty?? lol (I recommend Johnsons baby oil for nipples;-)

17. Second wash and gear indicator goes crazy again.
    with neutral selected (I can push the bike forward with the clutch out) I get 2 showing and won't start without the side stand up.
    riding for 30 minutes the gear indicator displays random numbers including neutral light coming on!
    also fuelling starts to hunt, I.e. trying to potter through town, the bike jumps forward a bit.
    will be taking a look at waterproofing the gear selector

18. Yearp, the day i picked mine up from Crawley, getting on to M25 to head North, it starting the raffle.
    Once i got on M40, it stopped.
    I doubt it have anything to do with the road, but the car drivers on M25 did drive erratically too... :p

It was peeing down, it was the 13th.... (not a friday though) and even though i have been riding in the wet since, i have not seen the error - however, my dash have since made the well known dots on the top frame of the housing.

Coming up to the 7.500 mile service soon, i will mention the dash together with the left handlebar switch gear, which occasionally plays up, too.

Wet electrics seems not uncommon on south european bikes :)

19. Catweezle and Android.
    :Eggonface:

This issue is vital to the safe and correct running of the motorcycle.
    The MTS1200 use this gear position information to select the correct fuel and spark map.
    You have different maps for the back and front cylinders and for each gear.
    If this display is showing the incorrect gear then so is the ECU giving the wrong fuel / advance/retard.

I'd love to know which map it's using when I driving around in neutral??:Wacky:

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. I have just experienced this issue.
    Got caught in the rain on friday afternoon in south wales for a weekend biking trip. On the saturday it started to play up, randomly going from 1st through the gears up to 6th then all over the place.
    Its messing up the fuelling badly so have it in Urban at the mo' as its softer throttle responce but is still bad in slow moving traffic.
    I have just got home and have WD40'd the sensor where it fits into the crankcase and put vaseline in the block connector but it hasn't fixed it.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information