1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytime in France: track fairing without Headlights?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Dave, Jul 7, 2013.

1. I'm taking my bike in a van for track time at Magny Cours where I will run my track nose cone without lights. I also plan to do some road riding for a day or two.

Does anyone know if I will get away with using the track nose cone on the road like I might in the UK. I don't want the hassle of swapping the track & road nose cone back and forth if I can avoid it!

2. Dave,

I wouldn't chance it, tempting as it might be - but the French laws are rather more draconian (and you aren't even French so there's another premium for you!) - they only just climbed down from mandatory high viz during the day with lights on mandatory - so think the idea of no lights is just about asking for trouble...!

Were you also going to have a spin on the slicks too?!

On a serious note, I have blasted mine through France a lot over the years, but I throttle off pretty quickly if I see the Gendarmes, as they aren't a fan of the noise either I find..... but never actually had more than an odd telling off so far....

3. were you thinking of adhering to the speed limits too?

In for a penny, in for a pound.

4. I thought as much ... hey ho biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Maybe I could do but they'd get in the way of the Marlboro logos ;-)

886176_10151564272121369_397810464_o.jpg

886176_10151564272121369_397810464_o.jpg

6. It's so exotic no one will know where the headlights are supposed to be.

7. I'll be there 28-29 Sept :)

8. Take your wets then.

9. Just get yourself a couple of these and you'll be sorted.

Helmet Lights at Trail Tech Home

The battery life is a bit crap but you only need to turn them on when you see plod in the distance :upyeah:

10. I am there the month before, 25 August. 1 day jobby.

Who you riding with in September?

11. May have to look at my diary! I am still a member of the DRC (honary) even though I sold mine...

Bit cheeky turning up with a KTM though!

12. That looks ace. Your biggest problem in France would be the Marlboro logos, they are totally illegal, the lights you might blag if you have uk reg and the rest of your documents

13. Blimey. How do you know that?

14. could you not just stick another bike in the van for local riding about?

15. I work in racing, and know numerous people who worked for the Marlboro hospitality, same company did aducati and Ferrari, and were based in sussex iirc.
    Even 10 years ago when tobacco sponsorship was still legal in Europe, they had to cover the branding on there trucks every time the went through France. Like wise people running old F1 cars I historic events in France have to cover any brand wording on the cars.

16. few strips of electrical tape will sort the logos out - get the cheap stuff from fleabay - doesn't stick very well so won't leave any marks:smile:

17. It's the "Loi Evin".

Similar but not identical in Switzerland in some instances. For example, if I worked for Johnnie Walker, I could paint my bike in JW colours with logos on. But if I don't, I can't. You can give a barman a JW t-shirt, you may not give a punter one. The Swiss are more lax about tobacco advertising because it makes them more money. Philip Morris' European and African headquarters are in Lausanne and they have a factory or two here. Lobbying, innit?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information