1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytime Mot

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Dave, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Lack of indicators on my Baines Imola is causing MOT trouble. Got away with an advisory last time but had to go to a different place this time and he failed the bike :-(

I could fancy some indicators that maintain the period look of a Bevel

[​IMG]

but in the meantime it looks like I’ll be going for a daytime MOT ... I never use this bike in the dark anyway. Tape up the headlight and the rear light and jobs a good-un.

• Like Like x 1
  2. No such thing as a day time mot!

If you tape up all the lights mot time you don't need indicators.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thats the term the MOT testing station used. I guess that’s what they call it still, even if it has officially changed. The advice was just tape up the lights and the bike is MOT covered for use when it isn’t dark ... no indicators required.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’m under the impression that the bike would be covered for use at night regardless of what the MOT tester had seen - subject to you fitting legal(ish) lights after you got the pass certificate of course?
    A MOT is a MOT. If it’s afterwards all is good ((but I’d check this)!

5. Applied to one of my bikes from mot rules.
    MOT past but with advisory on no lights fitted at test.

Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps
    Presence, condition and operation

The Tester will inspect all direction indicators and hazard warning lamps.

Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps aren’t needed for vehicles that:

• don’t have front and rear position lamps
    • have front and rear position lamps that are permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
    • were first used before 1 January 1936
    Direction indicators must be amber.

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have white front indicators and red rear indicators, if the direction indicators are combined with stop lamps or combined with front or rear position lamps.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986 don’t need to have hazard warning devices.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I miss the days when you could see 'Dodgy Dave' down the pub for all your MOT needs, insurance cover notes and VHS tapes of films still on at the pictures. :confused:

Bloody Brussels. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I hate it that the Brexit debate comes into everything.

In this case a little fact checking showed it is wrong to blame the EU for this. MOT harmonisation across the EU has not made UK MOTs more rigorous. Rather the UK already surpassed the standards that the EU got other countries to apply. Oh, and the harmonisation had to be approved by every National Government. Given the state of some cheap hire cars I had on holiday in places like Greece and Spain as a youngster this harmonisation is a good thing I think.

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/press-reports-on-ec-proposals-on-mot-tests-are-incorrect/

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/british-mots-to-be-watered-down/

As in so many things, if we want to blame anyone for the demise of “Dodgy Dave” (no relation) then we should blame Westminster not Brussels.

#7 Dave, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  8. From my previous reply.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986 don’t need to have hazard warning devices.
    No need to tape up anything.
    If fitted need to work otherwise not fitted legal.

9. My bike was first registered in 1993.

10. The daytime MOT is really an advisory on your MOT saying that there are no lights present therefore advisory to not use the vehicle at night rather than a separate MOT per se.

If it has indicators they need to work if it doesn't have them then they can't be tested, and shouldn't be used as a reason to fail. The highway code still says you can use hand signals.

Its not mandatory to have lights, but when you do have them they have to conform to certain standards and they must work.

The advisory regulation was included so that old race cars etc could run on the road.

The tester sounds like a bit of a give no fucks jobsworth dick to be honest. Just find another test station.

Digital speedos do a good range of indicators and ideally look for the E-marked ones as they are tested to a certain set of standards.

I'm with you dave on this, its DoT changes that have added confusion here, together with testers just not being arsed to do a decent job any more.

#10 Sev, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I see post 1986.
    Then as advised previously by another guy.
    • have front and rear position lamps that are permanently disconnected, painted over or “masked”

12. You have got it bad :eek:
    I think you will find it was light hearted :thinkingface:
    I don’t think you can drive in the EU with a bike with no lights even if mot’d in the UK - anyone know?
    If we align with the EU on MOT’s we are fooked o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes, as advised by the MOT Tester.

14. Is that Dodgy Dave Cameron? asking for a friend who wants a VHS of pig's head antics.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. It was a joke. Lighten up you tool. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Can’t you Desmo owners ever get on :rolleyes: you’re supposed to be the Forum elite o_O

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Sssshhhh peasant. :expressionless:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Now I’m finding it difficult to tell which posts are jokes and which aren’t.

Could you maybe give us a clue next time ... the convention is to use a ;-)

;-)

19. No ;-)

20. Be nice

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information