1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Dead Multi...

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Timg, Nov 26, 2016.

1. After five weeks of non riding , holiday & work I was going to out on my 2016 Multi when I found it was dead...... flat battery I assume. What I'm asking here is this normal for the Multi as I've never had a flat battery on any other bike I've owned & five weeks idle doesn't seem excessive.
    Yours Tim

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Does it have a tracker fitted?

3. Not activated

4. I've had a few bikes that start better when left on the charger especially after a few weeks.

5. I charge all mine overnight before a ride. Just put 996 on for tomorrow even though I rode it last Saturday.

6. Mine has been left months and still starts ok

7. Left the starter button red cover down?
    Jon.

8. No, it is definitely not normal. There must be something wrong. Either a duff battery, or a poor connection somewhere, or there is a current drain while the bike is parked. Track down what the problem is and get it fixed.

9. Absolutely. They ought to do what @bradders says unless there is something wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. No

11. Even with a charged battery mine sounds as though I'm lucky it's started.
    I'd hate to leave mine for a fortnight without it being on a charger.

12. Looks like a call to the dealership on Monday

13. I'm not sure but if the tracker is connected, it must use some power even if not activated, its waiting for the signal to "arm" my tracker drags battery volts down within 3 weeks, it's activated. Keep my dvt on a battery conditioner pretty much all the time

14. I'm no expert, but if it's wired in then the internal (tracker) battery constantly takes a charge from the main battery meaning you need to optimate more frequently.
    Yes, that's my understanding, even if one is connected but not 'armed', the internal battery constantly draws from the bike battery to ensure its topped up.

You need to frequently optimate & keep on top of it.

15. Tracker. It will take enough amps that after 20 days or so it will reduce the voltage to a state probably lower than the bike needs to start. Be thankful its not a Triumph: if they are not perfect, the bike won't even try.

16. Sounds like you need a new battery and some of @Exige 's leads...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Had some great results even with such new bikes :smileys:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Don't think it will fix his core problem: the tracker. Need to keep on an optimal if using one, or make sure (as above) its charged overnight before use.

Having spent 3 years delivering tracker type products, and 12 months running it, thats your best bet :)

19. This reply wasn't to the OP with the flat battery but to 'broke' who says his bike struggles to start even with a charged battery.

20. Thanks @Old rider but it hasn't failed to start "yet" but always sounds as though it's about to (not start).
    I thought it was just because it was new ?
    Without getting to technical @Exige why, by just changing cables is it easier to start ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information