1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debt Collection

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by simmytt, Sep 15, 2019.

1. I do repairs for a local estate agent on there lettings side of the company, the estate agent gives me a works order with the action required outlined on the order, I carry out the works order and when the work is completed I invoice the estate agent, they then pay me when the tenant pays there monthly rent. I have 3 outstanding invoices totalling £820, 2 going back to July last year and one going back to February this year, the 2 from July were for a property that was actually for sale and has now been sold and the one from February was for a total invoice of £850 and they have paid £425 with the other £425 outstanding, I have tried with no success to get my money(phone calls, emails and personal visits). It has been grating on me for a while now and I am wanting to proceed legally to recover the debt, so who actually owes me the money, the estate agent or the landlord ? and what is the best way forward that is not going to cost me ££££. TIA

2. Your contract is with the estate agent. They owe you the money and nobody else.

Usually a letter indicating court action by a deadline (1700 Friday or something) is enough to get payment. You would have to file against them which can be done online. They have an interest calculation you can use too.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sounds like the estate agent. They have invited offers (invitation to treat). You made an offer, they have accepted (with agreed consideration). Contract made.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. small claims court.
    its a sad fact that anybody can refuse to pay for a service provided. I cant even hold on to a vehicle until a bill is payed no matter the amount. remember that the next time you get bad service from a repair shop. just take it or phone the police. nobody can hold on to your property from the outset.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I have all the works orders and all email correspondence in connection with the debt, the debt owed by the sold house the estate agent said they would pass the invoices on to the home owner (seller).
    Is there a template for this type of letter that you know of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. If the works orders are from the estate agent, then they owe the money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Small claims court is the one that always springs to mind, worried that its going to cost me more than the debt or I will get £1 a week type payments, anyone actually been through this process.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I'd do as JH suggests.
    Write to them with a deadline of x, or you're commencing legal action.
    I had to do this with those c*nts at DHL. Unfortunately it's still the only language some organisations understand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. This estate/ lettings agent is a scumbag just like moped muggers or burglars. I hope you get your money from the pond scum. Afterwards be sure to publicise their name.

10. Ask our resident bannister, @Zhed46 :thinkingface:

Me? Personnaly I would have thought the money is owed by the Estate Agent, you have no contract with anbody else. But I'm no Petrocelli. :confused:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Ok, first a letter of intent, I am unsure who to direct the letter to, company name is Jo Bloggs estate agents,so I am guessing I should be addressing the letter to Jo Bloggs.

12. Just had a look at one of ours. Basically state the contract for works was agreed and fulfilled. The contract is between yourselves and no other parties, and is not subject to any other terms and therefore is due in full.

If payment in full for invoices XXX, XXX, XXX, totalling £xx is not received by 1700 Friday 20th blah blah blah, then I shall have no other option but to commence legal action.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Oh why oh why have you left it for so long (july 2018) for me i like to collect the money as i go or tools down it's that simple in life.If your not receiving prompt payments then there is a problem from day one.IMO
    But yes the small claims court is the way forward for any outstanding debt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Oh yes, modern day highway men, I had to add 20% to all my quotations so they could take 20% commission and they are working on behalf of the landlord.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. No excuse for the July last year ones, they were only brought to my attention by my accountant when filing my yearly accounts, I just overlooked them as I can be doing 20+ jobs a month for them so easily missed, the February one I have been chasing since completion of the job.

16. Brilliant thankyou :upyeah:

17. I have been to small claims. Point of principle over an £80.00 key for a car the garage were being well a garage.

First warn the the estate agent providing your proof they owe the monies.

If no response by given date then go on line and start proceeding in small claim court.

In my case they were so arrogant they offered no defence and so I got a CCJ.

After reminding them of my win they still refused to pay.

Now the thru the small claims court you can instruct bailiffs to recover your dues, which incurs extra cost for them. In my case the threat of bailiffs got me paid.

Result point of principle justified and smug feeling inside. :D

TB

• Like Like x 3
  18. Hey good luck with your debt collection as this is a pet hate of mine when monies are concerned/outstanding.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information