1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Decals Application

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by OoRanoO, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Afternoon all,
    I've just ordered a set of decals from VulturBike and they should be with me very soon. As I've never applied decals before and I'd rather not possible waste my money, I want to have them applied by a professional. I live in Ruislip NW London, anyone know of someone close by that would be willing to do mine?
    Many thanks
    Steve

2. Pretty much any automotive or motorcycle spray shop should be able to do them but no doubt it will not be cheap.

I fitted my own. Cleanliness, good light, care and a hair dryer is all I needed :)

3. Did you remove all of the panels to receive the decals or fit them whilst in place?

4. I left mine in place. Its easier to match the decals to each other that way. They are straight BTW - the angle of this shot looks to be distorting things a bit (honest lol)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Looks very nice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Been in Leeds Ducati today, they have a guy there that comes and fits decals on the bike, he was doing a 950S in what looked like the Pikes Peak replica 1260, looked absolutely mint as well, top job!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hi OoRanO,

Although we have different bikes I too have just purchased vulturebike decals. I have actually purchased lots of goodies recently as a bit of a winter project so I have stripped down the bike and for the decals the fairings are removed.

I was also going to get these professionally done but looked into various threads about installing these and decided to give it ago. If it went wrong, lesson learnt and pay the cost “That was my approach”

It’s actually a lot easier than I thought as the decals are excellent to work with. My only advice, really take your time. I rushed the first one and ended up screwing it up. Spoke with vulture bike and they gave me guidance on how to resolve which worked out pretty well. however I am a fuzzy git and wasn’t 100% happy so they sent me a replacement.

I had the relevant tools as I did some wrapping on my sons car but in my view it’s pretty straight forward to do.

BTW, I found this site useful http://www.bike-stickers.com/fittingguide.htm
    Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thats great, thanks for the info. When cleaning they say use alcohol, I have some but I'm woried it's too strong and could damage the paint, what did you use?

9. In my limited experience of fitting decals, a couple of drops of washing up liquid in a spray bottle of water is enough.

It enables you to move them around and push any bubbles out.

When I’ve finished, I’ve always thought this is never going to dry, but it always does.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Meths is what I’ve used in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for your tips and advice everyone, I'm going to give it a go myself, fingers crossed :p

12. I got some from amazon, worked a treat but i did test a section before going all out. Think you can also water down and it doesn’t need much. Basically just getting the plastic clean of all greases, waxes etc.

13. Good luck. Take your time, it’s the key to looking good.

14. o_O I would suggest possibly re-thinking about using the wet method, with Vulture Bike decals, something that I was advised categorically against using by The Image Works guys, due to the type of adhesive used by V-Bike.
    It's been described to me as 'bubble-free' and as such only suitable for dry application. Take a look at the backing paper and see what's written on it. If it says B-Free, then I would advocate using the dry method as advised to me by The Image Works contact I emailed.
    I used the dry-method and it worked very well for me, however, I did only apply some relatively small decals to the side of my 1260S, alongside and underneath the tank/seat.
    Trying to be helpful here, but it is your choice with your decals. Whatever option you elect to use, as has been suggested, take your time and clean & clean again prior to application....
    Good luck:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. So you’re recommending @OoRanoO to go in dry?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Based on the advice I've received from an organisation I consider to be pretty expert at this decal stuff....Yes.
    OoRanoO, maybe check in with The Image Works and see what they recommend. The guy I chatted with on-line is called Graham and here's a response I've received from him previously: Email dated 30/04/2020 - "Hi Tony,
    It depends on the vinyl they've made the decals from. We fitted a set of their decals a while back that were printed on air-release type vinyl. This isn't suitable for the wet method. If it's a normal smooth adhesive the wet method is fine. Cheers Graham"

Also email dated 01/05/2020: "yep, that's "Bubble Free" adhesive. Dry fit only"
    Their contact telephone details are: 0115 944 3111 or here's an email link to make contact with them on: [email protected]
    Again, good luck with the fit.:upyeah::upyeah::)

17. Yep, did mine dry with no issues.

18. Did mine wet, a mixture of water and washing up liquid in a spray bottle but which ever way you go as @TonyMNo1 says... take your time:upyeah:

7752E927-1158-40B5-8734-7BCE7F34549A.png

• Like Like x 3
  19. I paid £60 to have mine fitted by a local company. She said that some of them were tricky. Mine were from Italy and cost around £160. E7B6DF46-F0B5-487A-8351-7C9ED1CBC441.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information