1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Decat V Std Can

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Scott Aird, Nov 2, 2017.

1. im wishing to keep my std Rear can but fit a decat system whats my options ? will the Arrow decat fit the std slip on or do i need to change the full system.

2. The OE end can provides no attenuation to the exhaust noise level. My 1st generation has the Leo Vince decat pipework plus their feeble excuse for a db killer that fits the OE can and you are talking shouty LOUD. In hindsight a complete Termignoni non road or aftermarket solution with a proper db killer would have been the better option. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. You may as well run without an exhaust almost if you don't have an aftermarket can with some baffling

4. I had a custom made de-cat pipe for my DVT and kept the stock can. As others have said, the stock can has zero noise control elements inside and is only for aesthetics. It will be obnoxiously loud. I had them also build me a custom dB killer which did the job.

• Like Like x 1
  5. not a DVT but went with the Leo Vince decat and original end pipe at first but started it up and it was a two step backwards and a fuck me kind of noise put on a proper end can.
    It's smiley loud now. 20171015_102111.jpg

6. hi plug,

You may have already seen my new member post re "DeCat 'ing" my 2013 MST1200s GT.

My motivation for doing this is to smooth out the ride at low speeds where it is difficult to stay in one gear whilst not straining the power train. I'm constantly changing between 2nd and 3rd gear to get a less lumpy ride!

I've been told that the solution for this is to decat the bike and remap it! So I'm very interested in doing this now. But before I do that I would like to get as much info as possible and some answers to the typical concerns surrounding removing the 'cat' and fitting an aftermarket end-can etc. Can you help...?

I do like the look of the Leo Vince decat kit, is it as good as it looks, and also sound and build wise? How loud? Any backfiring (e.g. popping/farting) on throttle closing overrun? Any particular issues fitting it?

BW
    phil.

7. The decat pipe has a small baffle built in that reduces noise a little but it does need a silencer also to make it 'bearable ' Having said that I always ride with ear plugs as my hearing has been damaged by loud music and bikes anyway, so for me with the plugs in noise is not a problem and my neighbours seem to like the sound as well.
    I can't fault the quality of the pipe or silencer , everything slotted together perfectly and the finish is really good. I will get a tune up done as the bike is thirstier now, although it runs a lot smoother and it will run a gear higher between 2 and 3000 rpm as is .
    For the first ten minutes or so the engine does pop and bang a little but improves a lot when fully warmed up , it will spit flames from the exhaust if you give it some welly !!

In conclusion , in my opinion , the engine now feels like it's running how it was made to, it's smother , picks up quicker and 'feels' much happier.
    Hope this helps . 20170729_134241.jpg 20170809_183436.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Plug,
    Yes it does, thanks. I notice in your photo that there is a carbon mounting bracket to the rear-set so I'm wondering if this will be an issue for me as I have a pannier mounting located around there? Mine is the GT model (2013 so pre the DVT engine) so I do use them on trips!
    What did you do about the cat butterfly valve actuator and cable?
    Was there any issues with the ECU such as warning lights afterwards?
    Can you confirm that this is a 'road legal' can/setup? And acceptable for an MOT?
    Finally, can I ask where you obtained it from and what sort of money am I looking at for doing the same?

MTIA
    phil

9. It is road legal with the baffle in for the MOT.. I fitted a plug in exhaust valve eliminator which takes care of the ECU and taped up the cable out of the way.
    I will have to check out the clearance for the pannier and get back to you tomorrow. I do have them but don't use them so not a problem for me.
    Both items were ordered from Leo Vince's uk web site and the cost was around £780 and delivery was within a couple of days.

10. Plug,
    Many thanks for the info; when you say... "I fitted a plug in exhaust valve eliminator which takes care of the ECU and taped up the cable out of the way." What exactly is a 'exhaust valve eliminator' ? Is this to nullify the need for a remap? Who supplies these and what's the specification?
    Apologies for all the Qs :bucktooth:

11. The exhaust valve eliminator plugs in to the loom instead of the solenoid that works the exhaust valve and 'cons' the engine management ECU into thinking the valve is working normally so that you don't get any error messages. I cannot remember which one I bought but if you google one for the multistrada it will give you options.( They are quite common across a whole range of bikes). They are just plug and play , my valve was rusted out and sticking producing error messages so it's worth doing even if you don't change exhausts.
    As to clearance for fitting the pannier to that side , I have tried mine and it is not an option ..:confused: The Leo Vince end can is too fat for the cut-out on the pannier and longer. With the tail tidy I fitted the indicators get in the way also. A short end can may give you clearance on the Leo Vince decat pipe,or from memory their are exhaust options which are designed to give you clearance so all is not lost.

12. They are about £45 on ebay

13. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-M...%3Ac15be83815f0aa11f606ffdffffcd3bc%7Ciid%3A1

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Heal tech do most iirc. But the pre DVT was much easier to disable without a gadget.

15. Plug, thanks for the input re the pannier fit. That's very disappointing as I was hoping the carbon LV can would fit ok. Any idea which end-cans are compatible with the GT pannier set?

16. I couldn't say... I'm new to this forum so only just catching up with the many threads on this particular subject; since starting this discussion I've discovered that this topic was comprehensively discussed back in 2014 so I've learnt a lot more just from reading those postings. Thanks to all concerned.

17. Sorry bradders but I've got to ask...iirc ?

18. If I remember correctly

19. of course...I blame this large glass of red next to me... :blush:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information