1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Declaring 'accessories'

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Alan-g, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Insurance companies say you must declare absolutely every personalisation you do to a motorcycle, even if its a tiny sticker.
    Motorcycles are personal and i dont think iv ever seen an entirely standard one.
    But how can these companies expect you to declare every personal item on a bike (or risk your insurance being void)
    If they charge an absolutely ridiculous price for totally irrelevant stuff.

For example. I did a quote for my hyper and it was £560
    I added (the maximum of) 5 accessories:
    -Heated grips
    -Scotoiler
    -Engine bars
    -Radiator guard
    -Bluetooth adapter

The quote i was given from the same provider jumped to £6700.

Now i can see the point in declaring a £2000 performance exhaust system as it is a performance enhancement and alters the value of the bike significantly.
    But small cosmetic changes like guards and tailtidys. Why should we have to pay extra to insure a bike with these?

Best of it is the policy wording on my insurance says that only standard accessories are covered in a claim. So even if you tell them all of the extra cosmetic trinkets. They're not covered if u crash or ur bike is stolen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. And err, how will they know/cross check, if it's stolen? ;)

The biggest risk in my mind when insuring is theft.

3. One too many zero’s?

4. Apparently it's less about performance and more about making the bike more desirable to nick.

5. Which takes my point full circle... How will they know what mods you've made if your bike gets nicked, never to be seen again?? Well, apart from 150 pieces of it on Ebay...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Try getting insurance for your daylight MOT'd track bike!

7. I feel an insurance policy where you can have fully comp but opt out of theft would be a big bonus for motorcylists. The ridiculous premiums seem to be all because of theft. If you are paying thousands extra to cover theft.
    Surely some people would rather save the insurance cost. Especially if they already have bike trac, locks, alarms ect...

8. I've tried. Last quote for my V4S was north of 8 grand. Ahem...

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information