1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denim Kevlar Jeans And Ankle High Trainers?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by dubcat, Apr 16, 2017.

1. What's the general consensus on wearing denim jeans with Kevlar lining (my Dainese ones have zero padding) and ankle high CE approved Converse style motorcycle shoes rather than full on leathers and motorcycle boots?

When would you wear the former vs the latter?

2. Don't mind nipping to the shops or round a mates house in jeans but I wouldn't feel comfortable hooning about on a ride out or whatever with them on. Just a personal preference.

3. I have bullit Kevlar padded jeans and tcx and revit boots, wear them for short trips to shops and pub on a summers eve, have a cafe racer on order and they're just the job.

4. I wear kevlar/ aramid jean and timberlands all the time for low/moderate speed city riding. Can't be sitting in a bar or whatever with full gear on looking like a street rossi wannabe.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I wear draggin' jeans on ride outs no issue, with CAT safety trainers, must get me some Ankle high Alpinestars though as the CAT's are a bit bulky.

• Like Like x 1
  6. On my scrambler I wear either my RST or Held Kevlar jeans with padded knees and hips. I wear Caterpillar boots too. Just the job for the scrambler.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RST jeans with hip and knee armour, timberlands and a leather bike jacket, for local town trips / bike nights.

Going further and it's always full leathers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I have some Draggin' Jeans, Knox knee protectors and TCX Jupiter ankle boots. I've ridden in them to Southern Spain in the summer several times. When the temperature is 40 degrees leathers would be way too hot for all day riding. Even what I'm wearing is massively overdressed compared to the Spaniards' t-shirt and shorts. I've also worn them in the UK very occasionally for short trips either when it's hot or going to work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kevlar jeans are a compromise: comfort over safety. I wear them all the time with proper boots and jacket. I rarely ever wear leather keks anymore.

10. I have a motocross armoured top to throw a sweat shirt over, but not used it yet :)

11. Brilliant - thanks. I'll start to wear mine a lot more then. Including tomorrow at the BSB at Brands. Didn't fancy sitting around in leather pants all day long.

12. If you do opt for Kevlar jeans, please, please wear pads under them. After an off at just 40mph in Kevlar jeans I spent the next 4 weeks staring at the corner of my kneecap as I waited for the skin to grow back over it (round holes on knees cannot be stitched and a graft is a bit of a nonsense for a 50p sized hole). I only ever wear leathers now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Oh man :( How are you now mate? Sorry to hear about this. It's scared me as my jeans have no padding and 40mph is nothing.

14. I'm fine. It was around 7 years ago. Just a weird round pink dimple on my knee now. However, if it is a choice between being a little uncomfortable (I've sat through Assen GP weekend in my leathers) or risking not being able to bend my leg or let anything touch it for a few weeks whilst they prevent a scab from forming (they put a dressing on that keeps the wound "wet" so that it sort of grows over the hole), then I know what option I'd prefer, because the second is a LOT more uncomfortable. If you really don't like leather, go for textile, or as a minimum wear protection under the jeans that will not move in an off.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I was wearing armoured jeans and ankle boots during my accident in 2015. Sub 30Mph impact into a 100% stationary object.
    2016-03-04 09.52.40.jpg
    Note this was the damage after 9 months. You really don't want to see the post accident images (again).
    IF I was wearing full protection to my knee then all the energy would have entered much further up.

16. I was wearing similar for my accident......
    8 broken (apart....not cracked) ribs, two places each.....in the shape of a turtle shell (around the back protector).
    I'm sure that I'd either be dead or in a wheel chair with out it.

17. I think nowadays top quality correctly fitting biking jeans with good armour is better than poor quality single stitch cheap leather. There is no substitute for good boots, coming off at 90mph and i can vouch for that,

• Like Like x 1
  18. Only wear our hood jeans for local bike nights where we ride at a steady pace and they have knee and hip armour...

Always full leathers for more spirits rides out... Not worth the risk in my opinion!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I'm not sure an argument that good jeans with good armour might be as good as bad leathers wins me over.

Has anyone here crashed at anything above 40mph in jeans with armor and is still happy to wear them?

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Since the tracks still insist on Leather one piece I think that speaks volumes.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information