1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Denzil's Damage More Photos

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Denzil the Ducati, Oct 31, 2019.

1. I now have the 748 back at home and am still pretty much housebound, not even allowed to put the kettle on. Today Denzilina helped me to get some more record shots of the damage to the bike. For those that missed the thread I was rear ended at a set of traffic lights by what I now know was a 57 plate BMW 320D and shoved 5m before being ejected over the front of the bike a further 15m onto the road. The bike ended up wedged upright in the front of the engine compartment of the car with the bonnet and cross member wedged between the back wheel and biposta subframe on the 748. Here are some more photos to show the remarkably light damage. I had to crop some down for the file size.

There is no evidence of stress on any of the frame welds forward of the subframe including the sub frame mounts themselves but the frame will need an alignment check anyhow. The swingarm and wheel bearings will need replacing. Not sure if the rear wheel is suitable for repair considering what happened to it although the buckle is only the bead and is no worse than pot hole damaged ones I have seen repaired previously. The subframe and rear pegs have been opened out as well and the subframe bent upwards which seems to have absorbed the violence of the impact. Had I have not been hospitalized and the bike not wedged into the front of the car it was/is drivable. Rear numberplate gone, plate light and rear indicators destroyed but all other electrics 100% working.

IMG_0001(1).jpg IMG_0002(1).jpg IMG_0004(1).jpg IMG_0005 (1).JPG IMG_0009 (1).JPG IMG_00010 (1).JPG IMG_0013(1).jpg IMG_0016(1).jpg IMG_0019(1).jpg IMG_0022(1).jpg IMG_0024(1).jpg IMG_0025(1).jpg IMG_0032(1).jpg IMG_0029(1).jpg IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0014(1).jpg IMG_0018(1).jpg

#1 Denzil the Ducati, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Love You Love You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Looks like your trousers were ripped... ;)

Tough bikes aren't they??

3. OR, they survived for around 45mins. The only items of clothing that came through unscathed are a pair of socks, a tie and my boots and gloves which were hardly touched. My admiration for the 748/916 and it's toughness grows every day

72411016_959532361093865_2883414418585026560_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Glad to read youre on the mend:upyeah:

I presume the damage done to the leathers was in the hospital when the cut them off?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. When you are in a condition to repair it I have nearly all of those parts. Some, like the rear subframe and associated components you will be welcome to FOC. The colour is a match too!

• Like Like x 20
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Paul, the jacket was cut down the back as I was lying face down in the road so they could assess the spinal injury, at that stage I could not move my lower half but could still feel and wiggle all my toes. Everything else was then cut off (and helmet removed) in the ambulance at the scene before they took me to A&E. Everything had to be removed to give a full assessment of my injuries prior to the road journey.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Joe, you are a star

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. This is why we have the best forum and members :heart:

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Alright, alright, enough already!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Don’t know which icon to pick on your posts Denzil as it’s live you like useful agree in abundance. good to hear you are on the mend and also to see your pride and joy is not too smashed up. Such a kind thing for @JoeC to say, made me feel quite humble.
    continue the good recovery and keep taking the instructions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. What a lovely gesture.:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I had a fairly nasty off myself in September catapulting myself into a rock face resulting in a broken shoulder blade (scapula), ligament damage and associated flesh wounds, eight weeks off work and a lot of grief from madam so I (we) have taken the decision to focus on what’s most important in life (her, apparently) hence all the bike stuff that’s not being put to good use is either being sold or if it can benefit someone else, passed along.
    Three or four bikers have died on the same stretch of road in the last few years where I came to grief, including one witnessed by my son and myself in 2012. One of these days the remainder of my nine lives may be up and with that in mind and our spending increasing amounts of time travelling I will be rationalizing the number of bikes too when we get back in the new year so watch this space!

(that’s ‘time, travelling’ not ‘time travelling’, I wouldn’t be fannying around on here if I could do that)

#12 JoeC, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Pussy whipped, basically!

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Oh mate, my heart goes out to you.

16. You making tea yet?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. if hes smart he'll be milking it for all its worth! shame it takes and accident to get waited on..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Still not allowed to lift the kettle or any normal sized saucepans and am not allowed to stretch, reach, twist, pull open the fridge or bend down. This means all I can do in the kitchen is supervise or irritate. I am not even allowed to lift the tray after breakfast in bed or for any of the other meals which are served in front of the telly in my comfy chair. I can't drive or carry any weights so cannot go and get any groceries or take aways.

However, have to have the TLSO brace on whenever I am out of bed, when it is on it is a real pain (ass, back, ribs, breast bone)

• Love You Love You x 2
  19. the flip side eh?
    kinda takes the shine off the being waited on....

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. But importantly D, are you on the mend?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information