1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Denzil's Repair

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Denzil the Ducati, Feb 25, 2020.

1. I am now mobile (ish) and have been doing a bit of dismantling of the rear end of the 748. I will post some photos of the damaged components and issues with the subframe mounts later. Just three issues holding things up just now. Seized undertray and screen well nuts (no surprise there), back pains limit me to about and hour a day and the third I need some advice on.

Everything is coming apart well but I am stuck trying to work out how to get the relay connector blocks for the ecu and fuel pump relays through the space on the left side of the subframe. The relay block connectors look to be a couple of mm larger than the subframe allows, all of the seat lock and cable is removed. Is there a trick to get them through without removing the entire loom or cutting the wires?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good luck Denzil, looking forward to this thread :upyeah:

3. Thanks Harry, there is much I won't be able to do such as frame alignment check, wheel repairs, hub and swinging arm bearings, it will be a while before I have enough strength to do any heavy lifting but the easy stuff is therapy although not officially part of my physio program. Already there are a few things which I had not spotted before such as the sub frame mounts are elongated and slightly twisted to the right and there are some cracks to the rear of the airbox rear mounting screws. The subframe mounts are to be expected as they are the weakest part of the frame and the subframe was partly opened up by the impact. The airbox issue could simply be impact from the seat assembly (and me) as I was ejected over the front.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Best of luck, Andy!
    Catch up with you soon.

5. Good to hear you and the bike are making progress!

6. The back of the bike is now all off, relay connector blocks had to be turned so the fitting went through end on rather than (any) side on. Some photos of the exhaust cans and other bits for now. I will take some detailed shots of the sub frame and sub frame mounts tomorrow. I marked the photo showing the cracks on the airbox, the cans could be salvaged with a new sleeves and straps but the header dent on the RH one may be difficult. I already have two replacement sets of clean pillion pegs and a number plate/indicator tail unit complete with rear lights and indicators to replace this set, what you see in the second from last photo top right is all that was left of it.

IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG InkedIMG_0001_LI.jpg IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

7. Dali's 748... nice to hear you're on the mend buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good to hear you are feeling up to a bit of spannering. I’ve been tackling some siezed fairing fasteners myself today. Molegrips and dremmel in hand!
    Good luck. Richard

Do Not Sell My Personal Information