1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desmo Piston Kits

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by storybookglenn, Jul 26, 2019.

1. If you check the Desmosedici parts lists you will find two different part numbers for the piston kits ie 12221522A and 12221522B, the B version are substantially more expensive. Does anyone know the difference between them
    Glenn

2. The B pistons are now discontinued and have been superceded by the A part number. The early bikes, 400 or so iirc were fitted with a single compression ring, the later bikes had a more conventional twin ring piston.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. That's cleared that up then!
    Cheers Glenn

4. What were the issues that lead to the change @nelly ? Were they fitted with the later pistons / rings under recall?

5. Can't remember tbh. I remember some of the early bikes used to smoke a bit and use some oil. I think this was the reason behind the change. The later parts are retro fit as the earlier pistons aren't available.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I am surprised that the "B" is superseded by the "A" part numbers, I would have thought it would be the reverse
    Glenn

7. Mine uses oil and is one of the higher >1000 numbered bikes. I thought the general consensus was "They all do that sir" :)

8. mine used 1.5litres of oil per 1000 miles which is why it went back. The problem with mine wasn't piston rings it was porous barrels.

it was also one of the later bikes

9. Me to, but that’s what’s on the parts catalogue. Maybe it’s that the B’s have gone and they only have the early pistons left............ that’d be a bit cynical though ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information