1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Desmo Service

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by shakeys dad, Apr 10, 2020.

1. I've been making some enquiries about a 1098 on behalf of my brother. It has done just over 16000 miles, and I asked the dealer if the 15000 mile desmo service had been done. He replied the desmo engines were the later bikes, pani and v4. Have I got it wrong or is he talking bollox

2. He's a knob :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1098 service is 7500 miles or 1 year, belts at 15000 miles or 2 years. Dealer is talking bollox. Andy

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah he’s a knob

5. Cockwomble is the word you are looking for

6. All Ducatis have been Desmos for years??

7. Refers to the major “Desmo” service, belts and valve clearances check. Andy

8. He's a cockwomble knob. :no_mouth:

9. As has been said, all are desmodromic, the 1098/1198/848 are actually ‘testastretta evolution’ engines translated I believe

10. Don't really want to name the dealer, but he wouldn't have it, needless to say, my brother won't be buying from a dealer who doesn't know what he is selling

11. Name the dealer, that’s what these forum/communities are for :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Desmodromic is the name given to the cam shaft and valve operation rather than the engine name, it used two rockers to open and close the valve as opposed to a rocker to open and a spring to close
    Nearly every Ducati up to and including the 1198 uses this type of engine. I am not sure about the 1199 onwards.

Needless to say at 15,000 miles it needs these clearances checked budget around £1k - more if anything is required (which it will)

Just had mine done £1300 - ouch!

13. I've seen reports that from 2021 the V4 (in Multistrada at least) uses conventional valve springs, which should signnificantly reduce service costs, at least in terms of valve clearance checking and adjustment. It surprises me that Ducati did not quietly move away from the Desmodromic set up years ago - I know it's "iconic" but it's also complicated and costly to manufacture and maintain.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information