1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel 2013 Battery Blunder

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by SHROOM, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Hi everyone, I ride a Diavel 2013 stripe not had it long and been treasuring it ever since. I am from Surbiton in Surrey & trying to get back into bikes which had always been my childhood old school thing also don't really want to rush back into it, I am sorry to say I foolishly crossed battery terminals whilst getting the bike ready for the road the other day .even after what seemed like a good 60secs of battery/component buzzing I couldn't understand the wrong I'd done until i unhooked the cables . Checked the 2 fuse packs under the seat & none of them blown / bought new battery & still no power not even a blink. Can someone HELP me know if it's likely to be major damage or is there some other fuse/relay or component that is blitzed , kinda trembling that I might have hurt her bad. SHROOM

2. Welcome. Someone like @chrisw will be along soon with some help and advice I’m sure :)

3. Were you trying to start it throughout the 60ish seconds too? Try posting a quick video of turning the ignition on and hitting the starter, should help with diagnosis/remedy.

4. Yes even though the leads were hooked up wrong somehow I ignored initial contact spark & a what sounded like the engine starting & continued to flip switch &press engine start but nothing & then of course I woke up to fact that I might have burnt something out/checked fuses under the seat but everyone of them were good.

5. Thanks mate

6. Meant to say no ignition, if there's another set of fuses I would love to know so that I can check. Can't afford not to find the fault myself.

7. Don't know about Diavels but MVs and other bikes have diodes in various places that blow if polarity is reversed. There is a good chance you caused damage to the ECU as well.
    Fingers crossed for you it's superficial.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. Does your dash display work as normal? Can you cycle through modes, mileage, mpg options etc? I'd think if that all works the ECU could/should be okay.

I'd be tempted to remove the battery again, get it properly checked/tested at a garage (buy a new one if needed), then replace and only turn on the ignition/electrics to test dash modes etc.

9. Welcome to the forum

10. Thanks Carr01,

11. Thanks , will need to get back to storage where bike is & check

12. Thanks , no power but will get back to bike/storage & check

13. My first checks would be the ECU and BBS fuses
    B8C25D5B-A515-4098-A93B-187614358789.jpeg
    4AF183B7-4A1E-49CB-9F27-4CED1EA59A3A.jpeg
    49C91223-28B3-45C9-8B6B-F9601659F8E3.jpeg BC795919-D292-4160-9169-C54A4133727D.jpeg
    and also the main fuse
    885A3CDE-96F0-4558-BC10-FFC3534A055F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks again mate , since yesterday I gathered more info & found location of main fuse right next to the battery in a little white plastic compartment & there was a spare fuse there waiting for me. Sorted

15. Great info you sent me Big Thanks . Had checked earlier fuses under seat & they were all good I then found location of main fuse near battery & low & behold there was a spare 30amp tucked inside /swapped it linked up battery correctly this time & everything lit up nicely. Thanks so much again . 1 last thing/Question , even though i replaced the original battery which was new & had been bought a month ago I was told that crossing power leads on a battery can be dangerous if reusing that same battery again even though there is no obvious swelling. In other words should I just get another new battery to be on the safe side?

#15 SHROOM, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information