1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Differences Between Base And S

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by MC750, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Bear with me - you might say "obvious - this guy hasn't done his research".
    Well, you're right, this is one of the very first places I've come for good info. Had Jap sports bikes for decades but never a Ducati.
    I'm interested in the 1199 (don't think I can quite stretch to the 12)
    So forks, shock, wheels, ok, got those........presumably the electronics are different without the suspension to operate?
    Were/are there any particular issues with the earlier bikes to look out for?
    Anything else that I should know about?
    Thanks in anticipation. I promise to repay the forum when I'm an expert :D

2. The base model are good value for money though forks can give problems but fit a cartridge kit and a ttx on the rear your have better suspension than an S anyway. Also though the wheels are lighter on the S my personal opinion is they look shite so fit after market like oz or dymag your have your perfect bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Have you thought about an 1198? Or if you can stretch, a 1299? I just think Ducati lost the plot a bit with the 1199 oversquare engine configuration. Torque and power a bit dull low down. Look at some dyno chart comparisons and you'll get my drift.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have a base with ohlins upgrade forks, ttx shock and S wheels as a track bike. Not ridden it properly yet but as @Mary Hinge says the standard power curve is interesting. This can be largely corrected with mapping but as a road bike I reckon a 1299 would be better.
    received_627107717860019.jpeg

5. Blimey - you wouldn't think that was the same motor! And this was just from mapping work?

6. The green and pink were same engine, the other one is blue printed from memory

• Like Like x 1
  7. So still no progress on this.
    Was the issue with the base model forks on the 1199 resolved with the base 1299, or do the 12's still need reworking?

8. I think the 1299 base has the same issue. The membrane splits, and the variation between min and max damping cannot be distinguished by anyone apart from a Ducati tech who doesn't want to fork out for a warranty repair! (Personal experience!)
    A cartridge kit would work, but I went for R forks. Someone on here got the fork tops (from Andreani?) modified which seemed to be a good idea. My R forks were pretty unforgiving on the roads I ride, so a respring/ revalve was required, and now they're pretty awesome. It was a wild ride fo sho when I wound her up before! Dave
    Just found this: search Fishfire's
    1199 Fork Rebound Fix

#8 V4Missile, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. the 11 and 12 were actually a pretty different bike. I liked the 11 for it's almost 2 stroke like power band. It wasn't the "best" road bike for that reason, but it had a awesome top end rush.

The 12 was technically the better bike of the two both on road and track in mine any many others books.

10. Doesn't the base model have standard lights? I'm sure the S & R have LED lights?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information