1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences Between Bdst38 Carbs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by M600_il, Oct 9, 2017.

1. I am in the process of rebuilding my bike - a 1994 Monster 600.

Instead of rebuilding my original Mikunis I found a brand new set of carbs available for purchase - but when I looked closely at the images they weren't 100% identical to mine: the two things on the both sides (highlighted with a circle in the attached image) aren't present on mine, and the float bowl looks somewhat different (the screw is facing the other way and there are two drain pipes on mine whereas this one seems to only have one).

Were there several versions of the Mikuni BDST carbs, or can someone help me in explaining the differences?

I would hate buying these carbs just to find out they don't fit...

Cheers!

This is the one off of my bike
    Mine.jpg

This is the one I want to buy
    Untitled.png

2. The differences in the float chamber/bowl are almost certainly interchangeable, The reason I can’t say hundred percent interchangeable is because there were some versions intended for Yamaha/etc that are not, usual clue with these is that they have two bowl fixing screws instead of four. The electrical solenoids on each carb are a different matter though and I personally wouldn’t buy just because I’m not at home with them, and don’t know how they would affect the main circuits, hopefully somebody on here will be. I bought a brand-new pair at the beginning of the summer from Italy, can try and find a link if you would like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you can that would be great, thanks!

4. I'm with Chris on this - at least try to get a pair of carbs with a known origin which is of similar specs to your own.

BDST38s may look all the same which in general, they may well be; but I have found that apart from jets which can be removed and changed for a different size, I am fairly certain there is a jet which cannot be removed and I think it governs the flow of air through the pilot circuit.

If you look at the air inlet side of the carb, you will see there are two holes at the bottom edge - one has a removable jet, other other appears to be fixed.

However, it it was me I would do a damn good job of cleaning and renovating the current ones off your bike. The most expensive things you might need are diaphragms and float assemblies. As long as you make sure you clean / keep crap out of the pilot circuits, there isn't much with a stock pair that can go wrong. It is usually incorrect setting up of them where problems eminate.

Even if you take Chris up on the link he mentions, you will still have to check / change jets etc and then set them up to suit.

Apologies to Chris if the OP decides he doesn't take up the link.

5. P.m.’d him Al, they had none left. I was lucky to buy mine when I did as it seems that they are not turning up any more, only the ones with the electrical devices on them. From memory there are a few “factory fitted” jets it’s easy to work out as you can look with a torch and if you don’t see a screwdriver slot then leave well alone.

6. Mr thick here. What exactly are the electrical things on the side of the carbs??

7. as said, was hoping someone with specific knowledge might step in - just had a long search to discover more but without luck and no point in me guessing. I feel sure that someone like Brad Black or Allens Performance at Bingham will know.

8. Some form of electric choke?

9. The mechanically operated choke is still in place if you look at the picture Mick.

10. They look to me a bit like small hose stubs for say, a vacuum tube - I wonder if they replace the small air cut-off diaphragm units.

11. Ask the man down under, he:ll know.

12. Ask the man down under, he'll know.

13. OP...these are p/n 134.4.032.1A carb heater elements used on 2000 750 Monster, for example

#13 bigbadbass, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  14. I have them on my 99 900, but no wiring for them that i've ever seen, but then I have he heated bowls

15. Oh, you mean Wipeout, I guess.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I'm looking at them upside own - of course they don't relate to the air cut-off diaphragm locations.

Twit isn't I.

17. Just so as to wrap this up, I ended up buying a set of new carburettors from this guy:
    https://ducatipartsunlimited.com/pro...rt-bdst38-b159

It's a B159, meaning it is for a later model 600, whereas mine is an early one, fingers crossed it will work out of the box with no problems. Difference between late ones and early ones is that the idle jet/pilot jet on later 600's is a 40, as opposed to the 37.5 which came with the early Monsters, and I am hoping this will not mean it will need to be swapped.

18. With the 40 pilot jet you may just get away with not changing it by not turning out the pilot screws as much as you would normally for the earlier 600.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information