1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma... :os

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 470four, Nov 23, 2012.

1. My younger brother is getting married next week on the 29th to his longterm girlfriend & is having a tremendous "Do", per se...

We get on well, but I haven't seen him for nearly two years due to uh, circumstance and it would be amazing to see him again, never mind be there for his big day! :upyeah:

I am still "between jobs" so it would be easy for me to find the time to go, no holiday to book etc? Simples!

Now the interesting part....

They emigrated uh, nearly two years back to Grafton, New South Wales.

Australia. :eek:

+/- a 20-24hour flight, transfer in Hong Kong/Singapore with another 1.5hour connecting flight from Sydney to Coffs Harbour, east coast. The flight out & back starts from £680+, the connecting flight is +/- £160, this is no Channel crossing, an Epic voyage for sure. :frown:

I have a few grand spare on an unused credit card & could make the trip - I would have to get my arse into gear and start booking etc, but could do it? The only downside being the lack of job & the potential downtime out of the UK not looking for said job, also being able to pay back all the outgoings? At the minute I am living off the money my Four sold for + jobseekers etc, so am not totally destitute, but at the same time not that well off?

Any hints, tips etc appreciated.

Should I go - or should I stay now? :smile:

2. Get your arse in gear and go. Right now, head off to gatwick and get on a plane. :upyeah:

3. start packing now

4. Get it booked and do one :)

5. You'll never get this chance again mate - get packing now!
    Don't let missing it be something you regret forever.

6. Ah fek. :smile: The main balls up is - apart from the chronic lack of time (knew about it for ages but always grudgingly knew I couldnt afford it) - is the day taken pissing around waiting at airports & flying? In some cases I would have to leave Monday to get there in good time for Thursday (The airport is an hours drive away from him & I dont want him pissing around driving just before he's about to get hitched...)

Hmmm...

7. Go. Surprise him.

8. The main balls-up is going to be signing on... although being in Australia at the time is probably one of the more realistic excuses for not being there at the job centre on the Wednesday I doubt they would see the funny side.

9. maybe your worried you won't want to return

10. Just do it. Surely your bro is worth it? Done it with a couple of kids, including car hire, etc. yes, lots of hassle and stuff, but worth it when you get there.

you only regret the things you don't do, so don't regret it.

11. It's only a wedding. He'll probably have another one at some point. :)

See if they can get a tv hooked up at the reception and you can join them via Skype. You can still get dressed up and have a drink with him, you just won't be in the same room.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Emigrate there too. Their economy is still active and companies are still recruiting.

13. Go to wedding. Look for job. Don't come back.

Simples.

14. I'd go in a heartbeat !
    id also probably not want to come back!!!!
    Do it ...
    If you don't your regret it always.

15. Go! No idea what line of work you're in but the likely hood of finding a job at this time of year is minimal. Plus it's your brothers wedding!

Strangely these opportunities usually present something life changing... Job, relationship who knows?

16. Definately go, youll always wish you had if you don't. Check out the job scene while your there, I'll look after your SS if you decide to stay for a bit longer

17. go for it DarrenTis easier to ask forgiveness than permissionTis better to regret something you have done than regret something you haven'tYou can hide all your stuff in my shed /workshop while you are goneIf you don't come black l will post your bike out bit by bit Regards Steve

18. Im more bummed its not Europe or even somewhere I could channel-cross & ride out to?? The SS is the only thing I would want to take with me anyhows... :upyeah:

Would have to sort out getting to Heathrow/Gatwick, someone to look after the house & cats, what do do about the eBay I have listed, the air transfer from Sydney - Coffs, getting picked up from Coffs...

In all reality I should have flown out this weekend... :frown:

Its do-able, but would be Very Messy.

19. can you live with "I wonder what would of happened if I had gone" Met the woman of your dreams? Had a job opportunity of a life time? Oh and lived a little. No excuses just do it. Better to of regretted doing something than not doing it at all IMO

Do Not Sell My Personal Information