1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Dilemma, Sell,track Or Just Keep ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Yazwaz, May 11, 2019.

1. 415BA8C7-1915-4A4E-A3A1-762C088A024B.jpeg I’m just seeking some opinions before I do something silly.

I built an SV650 into a track bike over the winter, and have been really enjoying doing track days on it. Unfortunately it’s already starting to get annoying being overtaken on the straights and then slowed down on the corners. Not that I’m Vr46 or anything, but I have been riding a long time and am reasonably competent.

So I’m starting to look at getting a more capable bike for the track. I’m a Triumph man really (no hissing please) I have a 765 Street Triple for the road and fancy a Daytona 675 for the track. As you can see from my avatar, my 999 lives in the kitchen and I’ve hardly used it for 18 months, I’ve had it since 2013 and it’s wanted for nothing. Complete engine out rebuild 2016/17 engine repainted, wiring loom overall, fasteners replaced etc. The trouble with walking past the bike all the time is you keep spending money on it. Since the rebuild I’ve added the ohlins suspension and brakes, plus plenty of carbon fibre, Brembo rcs master cylinders etc. So as you can see it’s a tidy well specced and sorted 999. Genuine 2005 UK Mono.

I’d probably like to sell it, but don’t think I’d get the price I would like for it. I could spend more on it to convert it to a track bike which with the upgrades would make a stonking track bike (perhaps more than I need). Or buy a Daytona for the track and leave the 999 in the kitchen.

That’s what I’m struggling with at the moment. First world problems I know. But any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Track the 999.

I don't really see the point in owning a bike just to look at it, you may as well buy a photograph, it would do the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I agree, that’s why I was thinking of selling due to lack of use. If I track it I’d hate to bin it, I’ve got a bit attached to it.

4. Track it is. I’ve posted a wanted thread for conversion parts. So if anyone’s got bits they would like to unload please let me know. Cheers Martin

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have a 999S I have started to use on track. You will still get blitzed on the straights by the new crop of superbikes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes I’m ok with that, I’d be hoping to give the 600s and the old knackers a run for there money. Don’t really want much more power than the 999. Plus with suspension and brakes etc I have on it should be nice on track. How are you finding yours any tips?

7. Personally I'd list it for sale but place it at the top end of my expectation. If it's meant to be sold it will be and if it doesn't reach your top price, then at least the decision is made on getting rid or not.

8. Track it.

9. Although slightly tweaked, @t3scn was 7th fastest rider on day 1 at Aragon on his 749/999.
    They do well enough, if you peddle them right. Even giving the modern stuff a real run for the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I absolutely love it. I have four or five other bikes to choose from, including the 999R in my profile pic and it is easily the best handling of the bunch. It was set up for a German guy the same build as me to use on the Nurburgring and I haven’t touched it since I bought it a couple of years ago. Apart from the lack of speed on the straights it is easily enough for me. I was quicker on it at Donington a month ago than on my 1098R, probably due to power/confidence and low track track temperatures causing tyre issues. I am going to use it as much as I can this year, the idea being to develop my skills instead of just throwing more power down the track.
    It corners like it’s on rails, but you probably know that anyway!

#10 JoeC, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  11. It will be fast enough for me. Don’t think I’d trouble the front runners what ever I was on. Now to get the parts sorted and get on with the build.

12. Yes I’m happy with the cornering on the road and like I said enough power for me. How come the 999R doesn’t handle as well, does it have different geometry or is the power. My suspension has just been fully serviced so once set up for the track should be excellent. Looking forward to it now.

13. yeah track it, get some race body work for it though.

14. Yes decision made, track it is. Looking for tank and bodywork front subframe etc to start with. Also any other bits that are useful. I enjoy the building side of things as well.

15. Get it on track as it is, see how you gel with the bike before you make a final decision.

Personally they are one of the best bikes to ride on track, good solid mid corner stability and just enough power to annoy people.

Don’t make a hasty decision, try it out as is before investing it all the track kit.

If you really want to push on they can hustle :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I guess it is not set up for me (previous owner was much smaller) and I’m terrified of throwing it down the road and having to pay for any damage so rode it like a pussy!

17. I don’t think I’d like to bin an R. While we are on the subject of binning, what are the thoughts on crash protection for the 999. Crash bungs all round?

18. If I was you I'd swap as much stuff as possible for bits that are already tatty. It's very easy to mark swing arms etc with a badly placed strap (I did that) or scuff the fairing with it falling off the ramp (I did that). Keep all the bits you take off in bubble wrap in the loft.

@chizel has just track prepared a 749 so should advise OK on front subframe , etc.

Personally, I couldn't no it to my 999 after spending hours and hours and £££ on sorting her out so just bought a £2k 'blade which was plenty quick enough to get me to fast group. (By a smashing coincidence it's up for sale :innocent:).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mmmm DAYTONA, having owned both I'd opt for the Daytona. I'll get my coat now.:eek:

20. You’re probably right. I have the 765 Street as my road bike and have had a 675r street previously as well, and they are fantastic bikes and suite my riding skills & style perfectly. If I didn’t already have the 999 I would go for the Daytona without question. But I’ve had the 999 6 years now and I’ve invested heavily in all the right mods, and can’t bring myself to sell it. I don’t ride it on the road any more and so track days seem the way to go. After all they were built for the track. As said I ain’t going to be the fastest on the track anyway, but I’m sure the grin factor will be high with the 999.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information