1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Diy Belt Replacement

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Old Jock, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Sure there are many on here who do it & if I have it right @Exige sells good or better quality belts than Ducati supply.

So what do I need to undertake this task

Good belt tensioner tool is not cheap, but would probably pay for itself after doing a couple of belt changes

What else though is required, thinking of to get the belts off and on and then to tighten the belts any other special tools?

John

2. The Carbon Drive App is free and reports say it is very good - you just need a cheap microphone to plug into a smart phone. Many on here have used this method.
    See my web site www.ducati.tech for videos from Chris Kelly which will act as a good guide.
    I'm still waiting to do my first belt change but keep buying freshly 'serviced' Ducati's then parking up the previous one so not got round to it yet :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ^He's right. You don't need an expensive tool. Loads of guides on t'internet using apps or allen keys etc.
    Easy job, just do your research and take your time.
    Very satisfying, plus save a fortune!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Carbon drive app is great, Ive got it on both my work mobile and personal mobile and double check the tension with both, Perfect and free, Last belts ive bought were Exiges and well impressed, One to two days to deliver to other end of country aint bad, Belts are an absolute doddle to do but double or treble check everything if your doing for first time, plenty on line on changing them but if your not confident get someone who is, Don't want a costly mistake with something that's under a hundred quid to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. :astonished::astonished: Cant believe I just read that :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes, too many Ducati's you see and I keep retiring them :)
    I've re built plenty of Kawasaki Engines :innocent:
    One day soon maybe :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I bought the tension tool from motoreva, a US site.
    Costs more than a free app i know, but a great bit of kit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Found this on YouTube, seems quite a good guide if you can keep your food down after 12 minutes of looking at his hot sweaty body

9. Exige belts are perfect. Loads of forum members have used them and I've not heard of any complaints yet. I ordered mine over the Easter holidays last year and still only took two days to arrive. I had a friend fit and tension mine for me but it looks like a straight forward job as long as you check and double check everything. I took some pictures along the way as next time I'm planing to tackle this task myself. We marked the old belts with a small dot of white paint then transferred the marks to the new belts.
    To turn the crankshaft we raised the rear wheel and with the bike in top gear it was easy to rotate to line up the timing marks. No need to remove the spark plugs or use a crankshaft turning tool.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information