1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diy Tail Tidy For Single Exhaust Setup (1st Gen)

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Neeps, Aug 8, 2018.

1. I decided to make my own tail tidy for my Hypermotard as there aren't any options available that work that well with the single exhaust setup, most are designed for the duel exhaust and hence extend too far out when fitted with the single. I made it out of a 4mm thick Aluminium sheet using a vice, hacksaw, drill, blowtorch, hammer and file. I'm using a 8"x6" plate (as I've used on all of my previous bikes) and I've filed the plate down a little too so it could be fitted centred.

Parts list:
    Aluminium sheet (4x300x200mm): £6.49
    Number plate light: £2.56
    Total cost: £9.05
    Pictures of custom tail tidy fitted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original tail tidy supplied with the termi 2-1 kit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Neeps, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. 40 points to Gryffindor!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Here's the sheet metal template for anyone interested, you might have to slightly adjust the holes (I made min originally for the stock steel subframe but had to bore out the 2 outer holes slightly to get it to fit my Alloy subframe):
    [​IMG]
    I bent my tail tidy to approximately 40*, you may need to experiment to find what looks best for your setup. You must anneal the aluminium along the bend lines prior to bending otherwise it'll snap later on! (I used the sharpie + blowtorch method).

The plate light is mounted through the number plate.

Bonus: It weights 400g less than the stock tail tidy!

#3 Neeps, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Neat! Will definitely be doing that to my Hyper in the not too distant future. Thanks for sharing.

5. Neeps, is it possible to get a .dxf of this drawing? I wouldn't know how to use CAD software if I tripped over a copy of SolidWorks.

6. Yes I'll try to find the file tomorrow when I'm home, I just realized I forgot to put all of the vertical dimensions on that template too sorry :D

7. No worries! I want to see if a local waterjet or laser cutting mob can whip one up for me.

I'd love to know if there's a part number for the plate hanger that comes with the 2-1 Termi kit.

8. Sorry for the delay, here's a link to a folder containing various files about the tail tidy I made: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kamHFuiuKr64p01UABZBo6dqO7TM0kJJ?usp=sharing
    Unfortunately I can't currently open my autodesk files to convert them as my licence had expired, the easiest way to get the dimensions would probably be just printing off the PDF image and using the scale + measurements with a ruler to find the missing dimensions.

I also managed to find my original termi tail tidy too, although I'd probably just suggest getting one made as it's a lot smaller and looks better imo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks very much! I'll take a look at the files now. Would you mind posting a photo or two of the original tail tidy as well? I might be interested in buying it as well.

10. Here's the original termi one, I can't remember how it all goes together nor where the fittings are.

11. Thanks! What is the part number on the piece on the far right? It looks like 561.107 but then I can't make it out...

12. 561.1.023.3A

13. Thank you! I'm surprised that it's still available new for about $32. Looks like it was a factory part on the 2005 999S, 2010 SportClassics, and 2010 Hypermotard 1100 evo SP models. I guess it makes sense that they didn't reinvent the wheel...

Do you know if the wiring harness for the brake light, license plate light, and rear turn signals is a separate harness or if it's part of the main harness? I can't really tell by looking at the factory diagrams. The previous owner of mine cut all the connectors off to run his aftermarket tail lights :eek:

#14 number9, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  14. Yea I think the X-shaped part (that the part No. is for) is re-used off of the original tail tidy when they fit the termi one, the termi one just replaces the metal support/mount of the tail tidy, blanks off the original indicator mounts and adds a separate indicator bracket for going directly under the tail light.

I couldn't tell you about the wiring harness right now for definite, however looking at the parts diagram it appears to just be part of the main loom. :(

15. According to the parts fiche, the X-shaped part is not what comes on OEM bikes. The OEM non-Termi part is 561.1.024.1A and it looks quite different to the X-shaped one. I might just buy the X-shaped one and see if it fits!

I'm surprised it's so hard to find info online about what you get with the full Termi setup. :(

Are there part numbers stamped on any of the other bits, particularly the metal bracket at the top? I think if I can get the X-shaped part and the metal bracket, I'll be all set.

16. I went digging through boxes this morning, and found a few parts in my garage.
    IMG_8883.JPG
    The part in the top right is a mudguard for the exhaust, so we can ignore that. I don't know what's on the left of it, nor what's on the bottom left of the picture. Both are metal parts, and the one on the bottom left does not have a factory quality to it.

The good news is I've got the license plate light, but the bad news is I don't have that long bracket that Neeps has. If you can find a part number I'd love to track it down! Also, it looks like your license plate light attaches to a very small metal bracket that I seem to be missing.

#17 number9, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  17. Part on the bottom left is what goes inside of the plastic housing, it appears to be identical to mine (it doesn't have a part number on it either). I'm pretty sure you've got everything there to construct the termi single side tail tidy, you'd just need the separate indicator bracket!

18. I tried fitting it in the plastic housing, I guess I didn't try hard enough!

Is there a part number on your indicator bracket?

19. There isn't a part number on it either, although it's the easiest part to make. I had to make a custom one to fit my larger diameter aftermarket indicators, I just bent a strip of aluminium into shape and drilled holes into it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information