1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Diy V4 Radiator Guard!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by PauloPani, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Not done much for a while, but one job I've been meaning to do is to fit a radiator guard. Never had a radiator guard on any bike I've owned and fortunately never needed one but i thought I'd treat the Pani to one.

I do however begrudge paying Evotech over the odds for a bit of mesh though.....I've got an Evotech tail tidy which is a quality bit of kit but I thought I'd have a go a making this on my own. Bought some automotive mesh typically used for front grilles etc.

Its a fairly big job and a bit of bastard to do so thats been putting me off too but gave it a go anyway.

Started off by stripping it down and freeing off the cowling that surrounds the radiator and oil cooler. I then made a paper template and used this to cut the mesh with a grinder.
    Screenshot_20220213-174654_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220213-174710_Gallery.jpg
    I cut 5mm bigger all the way round so that it would sit behind the cowling and be held snuggly and securely in place. Once cut i tidied up the edges and painted the exposed metal to protect it. Finally I used a little insulation tape to cover the edges just so it doesn't snag any of the radiator fins. I slotted it all into place beforehand to make sure it fitted and luckily it was spot on first go!!
    Screenshot_20220213-174811_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220213-174803_Gallery.jpg
    Pretty chuffed with the results and it only cost me £15 and an afternoon in the garage.......and who doesn't enjoy tinkering in the garage!!!:p

• Like Like x 19
  2. Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Used the mesh bit from a disposable bbq to make 2 rad guards for the GS. Painted them silver hamerite and job jobbed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Good job! Looks better than others I've seen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Looks good. How is it retained in place?

6. So its not held in place with anything like zip ties, the radiator and oil cooler have ridges down the sides so it basically just slots in. The black plastic cowling that houses the radiator and oil cooler then goes back in place once you've slotted the guards in place and when you tighten everything up it clamps them down. I used two layers of insulation tape around the edges so that adds a little grip when it's all in place. It won't move about and there's no way it can come out. Trust me it was a pig to get in there so its staying put!!:D
    Screenshot_20220215-113355_Gallery.jpg Couple of layers of electrical/insulation tape folded over the front and back gives it just enough purchase to grip without it being to thick!

• Like Like x 1
  7. That sir looks like a very neat solution. Nice one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Thanks @PauloPani .

I don’t have a V4 so not sure of the specifics of the radiator/oil cooler on that model however, I have a similar guard on my 1098 that I bought off eBay a few years back.
    The one I have slots into the surrounding shroud on the 1098 and is held pretty tight. For additional security it also has tie wraps threaded through the radiator core to hold it in place.
    Also, I am unsure how long your insulating tape will last when subjected to vibration and heat - perhaps it may be better to use sections of edge trim material (which was supplied with the guard I have)?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey @RickyX

I must admit, I had my reservations about using the insulation/electrical tape and had scoured ebay for some other kind of edging trim but couldn't find anything metal. The tape was more trial and error/quick fix really. At worst I expect it to maybe shrivel up or shrink under the heat but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It may make it mould into the cowling better. It is however on the cooler side of the radiator rather than near the motor so I'm hoping it doesn't set on fire !!! :astonished::joy:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Does make you wonder why the (expletive) hell manufacturers don't put guards on them in the first place.
    My tiny 899 bottom rad was £400. Made out of bloody fake Chinese tinfoil and just fell apart. Dread to think what a V4 one costs? Sports bikes have diddy front mudguards at best so I'd say the rads are vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Good job @PauloPani always satisfying to make something decent yourself and save a wedge of money into the bargain, plus doing stuff like this you get to know the ins and outs of your bike better, I find that the more you work on them, the less daunting they are :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Couldn't agree more @Poucher .......this is the sort of thing I'm happy to have a go at, anything mechanical or electrical I leave to the experts !!

Luckily removing the fairings and body work from the V4 is a doddle :D

13. Electrical shrink wrap, cut it open and heat it along the edge as you go whilst clamped in position?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Now that is a genius idea @DucatiScud ....got a box full of it in all different sizes in the garage too!!

Next time I have the fairings off I will have a look and see how it looks and replace with electrical shrink wrap! :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information