1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Do You Bother Using Dda Port For Charging?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by dubcat, Aug 18, 2016.

1. You can use this cable to convert your DDA port in the boot of your 848 in to an SAE port for connecting to an Optimate. Does anyone bother to do this or do you just wire straight to the battery?

SAE to Ducati Power Lead

If you wire to the battery where do you tie your SAE connector to so that it is neatly tucked out of the way when not in use?

Pro's - seems like a neat solution
    Con's - expensive for what it is

Possible Pro - you could connect a SAE to USB charger cable when not using it with the Optimate but I'd be worried my phone would get hot in the boot.

2. Don't use the DDA port under the seat of the 848/1098/1198 for charging. It is wired completely differently to the Diagnostic plug for which this lead is designed.

Pros - it's not designed for your bike
    Cons - you will be putting a voltage where it shouldn't go

Use a fly lead directly onto the battery.

• Like Like x 2
  3. They are talking bollocks. The lead is designed for the bikes that use the M3C and Mitsubishi ECU's and do the diagnostic function via Canbus.
    On those bikes the 4 pin Sicma connector is wired
    Pin 1 - +12v
    Pin 2 - Earth
    Pin 3 - Can Hi
    Pin4 - Can Lo

You can therefore charge direct to the battery using pins 1 and 2

The confusion is that this is a shared connector type. A Sicma 4 way.

The port under you seat is for the Ducati Data Analyser. It uses the same connector but is wired completely differently.
    The two important pins are 1 and 2

Pin 1 - goes to pin 17 on the ECU and Pin 23 on the dash
    Pin 2 - goes to earth

Your bike uses the IAW5AM ECU and Pin 17 is for +12v on ignition to energise the ECU. Pin 23 on the dash is also an ignition +12v.

By all means ignore this advice but please video your bike when you put 12v through the Data Analyser connector. Just keep the video on the dash and show us it fire into life.

But there again, what do I know.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
  4. Ignore your advice? Sod that!

Really worrying that crappy advice is being given by the manufacturers! Thanks for saving me from frying my bike mate. Really appreciate it.

5. From the eBay ad:

According to Ducati (instructions in its charger) connector is used starting from all Model Year 2010 (MY '10), and the Monster family Model Year 2009 (MY '09).
    The cable in question instead should NOT be used on motorcycle of families Superbike, Streetfighter and Sportclassic, and HYM and MTS produced until 2009 Model Year (MY '09) included.

My italics- so they don't seem to say it can be used on an 848? Anyway, I agree with Chrisw, lead straight to the battery. On my 1198S I just tucked the connector behind the clutch slave cylinder bleed nipple, not had a problem.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. An old thread but it's relevant to me today. In another thread I am discussing using a Ducati -to- Optimate cable (from Optimate) the same one you are discussing here. I have a 2018 Monster 1200, and was just about to buy this converter but based on the conv in this thread I am obviously hesitating!

7. You can charge via the diagnostic port on your bike

8. Ok fantastic, so it's an 848 thing, they have a different wire configuration in the port?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information