1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Gear Indicator 2018 Dvt

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mike willis, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Just been out for a nice green lanes ride, on the way back the dash started flashing up gears, numbers, neutrals, at one point it was going so fast it was a blur, any ideas anyone?

2. Its not an uncommon complaint. Its probably the sensor in the back of the gearbox. If you get your head into the area above the swingarm, you will see a circular hole at the back of the motor a bit like a spark plug hole and its often full of crap. Clear all that out and if you are lucky that will solve your issue...if not, you need to change that sensor. It can be done in situ, but you will need a thin wall socket that has a cut down one side to allow it over the wire ...then you have all the fun of setting up the gear indicator again.
    That prodedure IS detailed on here if you run a search for the procedure.
    All things considered, you wanna hope a good clean and blow out with an air tool, fixes the issue ;)

Here ya go - have a look at this thread :) https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/cruise-control-gear-display-error.77095/#post-1604103

3. Ah! That sort of “Gear Indicator”. I was envisaging a device that warned you that your brown boot, turn-up jeans and beard combo were clichéd!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. What a great answer, thanks, I'll give it a go

5. I found the hole, gave it a blast of compressed air, a big shot of WD40 and it all seems fine.
    I've run through all the gears with the bike on the centre stand, so far so good, test ride coming up.
    I had phoned On yer bike, their charges would be £101.00 for the part plus half an hour fitting, I thought that was quite reasonable.
    Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Glad you got sorted out :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information