1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does My Chain Look Loose? Hm796

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by WheeliesToForgetFeelies, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Hey guys, I have tightened my new chain to spec (37mm to 39mm) as it says on the manual but it looks a bit slack to me.

The top run of the chain is dragging on top of the swingarm as you can see in the photo, I don't think it's supposed to do that.

Looking at the photos, does it look loose to you? How tight do you tighten your chain? I am sure I have the freeplay the manual says, but it feels wrong y'know?

Pictures:
    https://imgur.com/a/L82ObB9

2. See below, Hy1100evo, sticker says 33-35mm, Im at 35mm
    upload_2018-6-19_13-22-46.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2018-6-19_13-20-1.png

3. That's the top swingarm chain slider which is normal:upyeah:

4. Not enough though....

5. You mean it's normal to slide on top of it? On my previous bikes the top part of the chain stayed suspended.

6. As soon as the chain is in tension it will be suspended above the top guide, better loose than tight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I think I saw it drag around even with the bike moving but I will confirm that tomorrow.

8. I don't know about your bike settings,,, but the chain slider is there to protect the frame top and bottom:upyeah:

9. New chains do bed in and can need adjusting a few times early in their life.

As long as you've adjusted to spec on the bottom run of the chain op, I'd not worry.

fwiw from the pics you put up, your chain doesn't look overly slack.

I've found that with the hyper I had, when adjusted correct the bottom run of the chain didn't have the hanging belly like arc you see on some (if that makes sense).

The chain should look taught ish with, the correct adjustment with the bike on the side stand, out of gear.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information