1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Appreciate The Throwaway Society.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Mar 12, 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. Meanwhile the Govt seem to want to force older vehicles off the road under the guise of helping the environment.

It’s already happening in London with the Ultra Low Emissions Zone which requires any pre-2007 petrol or pre-2012 diesel* vehicle to pay a £12.50 charge to enter the centre of the city. As of next year, it’ll be extended to the suburbs, meaning something like 70% of the city will be covered.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/motorcycle-emissions-tax.76344/#post-1574939

* I think those are the right years but I haven’t checked and it is possible to take some slightly older vehicles to an emissions testing centre to see if they comply.

2. Keeps the greasy wheels of industry - and PCP brokers - turning

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Easy solution bud... don't go to London.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I was back in that London on a bike for the first time in ages a couple of days ago and after being away for a while I had obviously lost the antibodies which gave me immunity and, yeah, what a dreadful place to be a rider/driver. Leaving aside all the cameras, threatening warning signs, ludicrously low speed limits and cluttered and confusing road furniture, the sheer number of Audi driving arseholes and Range Rover retards tailgating and undertaking, only then to slam on the brakes once they had sliced in front of you (because of the speed camera they hadn't noticed due to yapping on the mobile phone clamped to their ear) thus giving you a whole 4ft of stopping distance, was utterly unbearable. Good riddance to the place

#6 Zhed46, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anything older than a 2016 plate on 3.5t vans

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Unfortunately there is a lot of business there.

7. Charge accordingly :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Why the face palms @cookster and @AirCon ?

Genuinely puzzled as anyone who drives regularly in London knows that is standard driving behaviour. It’s not unique to there but any means, but it’s noticeably more prevalent than in other areas

9. Thumbs... :blush: I was in the cafe on the phone... I try not to emoji when mobile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. You are 100% on the money, the standard of driving is getting worse.
    Uber have made Addison Lee look like undertaker drivers.
    Some areas have a certain diversity which can make things much worse.
    I don't mean the colour of someones skin, just which part of London.

E.g. Croydon area.
    Vehicle emerges to come from side turning into busy road.... fully laden van approaches and makes eye contact.
    .... mouthing the words stay there.... wait .... wait.... wait.... with 1/2 a van length away... they pull out.
    Vehicle emerges to come from side turning into busy road.... fully laden van approaches and makes eye contact; slows his speed and flashes lights to indicate pull out - i've got this one.
    .... other driver mouthing the words F*** You MF...... pulls half out and stops ready to fight.
    Those who know the area may agree.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. @Zhed46 face palm for all the terrible drivers there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I struggle to see how PCP can be sustainable?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I don't think it is - it's a delay tactic, 2nd hand market will be controlled by dealers balloon values and everybody gets lumbered with zero capital in the car so back to saving up for deposits.... bubbles spring to mind

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cars on PCP = madness (there are the odd deal which may make sense) but essentially you are renting a car for the rest of your life. Along with your 'phone, your music library. your computer software etc while some "investors" make a fortune out of you. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. The way I see it the used market is flooded with 3,4,5 yr old motors traded in on PCP's as owners roll over a new deal. That used market then outstrips demand (more stock than buyers) and the used value goes down. This has two effects, the used value of the car falls and so when the buyer of the new car goes to take out their new pcp deal the depreciation is greater than it was 3yrs ago on their last deal so they have to stump up more per month for their new car or as you say loose any deposit they thought they had in the car come trade in (same difference)? Something a work colleague confirmed to me, he's has a mate who worked temp for Mercedes picking up said PCP return vehicles after their contract, he'd deliver them to a compound with cars as far as the eye could see, he's asked what happens to them and was told "dunno they're worth less than their guaranteed value so they are just being kept here"?

The only winner is those who are happy to buy those PCP trade ins, that's where the deals are?

16. Ah, ok. When I face palm a post I’m usually shooting the messenger rather than agreeing with what they wrote :upyeah:

17. I agree there are some great deals that pop up in used PCP cars, which can make buying a new one crazy by comparison. But only if you are prepared to slum it with someone elses cast offs... Like me!

• Like Like x 1
  18. down in andover the company i used to work for were doing some work for a very wealthy couple.. 60 odd acres and a huge house as their summer weekend retreat. anyhu they bought the neighbouring house for us workers to stay in while working down there then demolished it with the intention of building something more "in keeping" with the main house... perfectly good house leveled... they too did it before planning for the new build was approved and are now sucking the fat one as planning have said no...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information