1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Try And Wear Two Piece Leathers

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by chrisb1299, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Bit of an embarrassing story for a couple of mates who came with me to Brands GP on Monday. They both had two piece leathers that zip round (RST and Dainese) but both weren't allowed on circuit. Turns out two piece leathers need to zip ALL the way round completely, with basically no gap at the front. Wasted day for them, no refunds or anything from No Limits, one mate had worn the same two piece at Snetterton before, but apparently Brands are super anal, as they found out.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. When we did a ducatisti day at Pembrey back a few years my two piece leathers had to be zipped all the way round not just zipped in the back

3. Knew it was gonna be about this before I even opened the thread, been going on years and I don’t do track days (for specifically that reason I couldnt afford all the extra gear lol) .
    Sorry to hear about your mates wasted day :(

4. TD organisers are being pretty strong with the rules at the moment due to a fuck load of accidents etc over the last few years.

Needs to happen tbh.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shitty luck, bet they were pissed off. Don’t mean to sound a smarmy twat but it does explicitly state in the online brief leathers must be one piece or zip right round.
    As said, they’ve clamped down on this kind of thing. My Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup chewed the plastic ratchet off one of my boots the day before my last track day. The little twat. Anyhow, I managed to bodge it closed with a black tie wrap. Luckily no staff in pit lane noticed as I reckon I’d have been sacked off if they had.

6. What leathers don’t zip all the way round?

7. It was more than just at the back, they were both zipped round in front of the hips, but obviously not enough for them

8. Yeah agreed, although their point was that if they came off, sliding feet first, on their front, with their arms above their head, then the jacket could rise up. Pretty specific conditions but I get it.

What was even more frustrating, was there was a guy next to us in the paddock riding in novice wearing an identical Dainese two piece and was allowed on

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not smarmy at all, as soon as we looked it up on MSV it is very clear about the requirements. Their mistake, but the no limits messaging wasn’t quite as clear

10. RST Tracktech Evo and Dainese Laguna Seca (I think) apparently

11. That's the reason I was given

12. RST advertise the Tracktech Evo with a 360 degree zip and all 3 of my Dainese jackets have full zips. IME the zip always has a 2 or 3 inch gap at the belly button otherwise you can’t get the main jacket zip fastened. Sounds like typical No Limits though. Andy

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. I have a Dainese 2 peice and it too zips to about 330°. But I bought a 1pc for track days. It seemed a sensible thing to do considering I'll be hurtling around a track at speed....Ok, wobbling around off line...dammit

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. This is where my mates confusion came in as like you say, they're advertised with a full zip. But that gap at the front, that's probably more like 3 inches either side was the problem they had. In fairness to No Limits, they were understanding of their frustration and were saying it's more how precise the Marshalls are at Brands, which is why one mate had previously been let on at Snett with no problems

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 09.18.02.png

• Like Like x 2
  15. My RST ones don't.

There is a 3" gap at the front.

I've done 2 TDs at Brands and it wasn't checked for, so not an issue, but seems they are tightening up.

I've bought a one piece for TDs now, not that I've done any lately!

16. Gaps similar (c330 degrees) on both RST and Alpinestars.
    I have never seen a two piece that zips a full 360.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. I’m not aware of any ready made 2 piece leather suit aimed at track day riders that has a gapless waist zip, it’s just not practical. I’ve been participating in track days for more than 20 years and my memory is telling me the phrase ‘full zip’ was introduced to stop riders wearing 2 piece suits that had maybe 6 to 9 inches of zip at the back of the jacket. IMO, this is a risk averse, overzealous interpretation of a long standing requirement. It's tantamount to banning 2 piece suits for track days. Andy

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Don’t disagree with your comments above. If they did ban them at least it would be clear for all.
    Personally I’d be asking No Linits for a credit note or refund regardless of if it were the Marshalls or NL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TBF, i think 2 pcs in inters and fast is prob a bit silly. In the newbies group, it should be tolerated as long as the leathers are decent and zipped to about 330° (ish)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ime that is full zip. I have never seen a 360 zip: you wouldn’t be able to do it up at the trousers

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information