1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drained Battery, 848 Won't Jump Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by redsail, Aug 13, 2015.

1. I think I left the bike in P after washing it the other day. Bike is now completely dead. Multimeter give a reading of 0.4.

I tried to jump start using my other bike (similar 12v battery) but got some weird behaviour. The fans come on full blast as soon as the 848 is connected to the other battery, turns on ok dash lights up but battery level showing around 11v. Bike won't start, just a click.

Is it simply a matter of not enough juice in the other bike? What are my options? Is it safe to try jumping using my car's battery, then go for a ride to charge the 848 up? Or should I ride the other bike for a bit, to get it topped up then try jumping again?

2. The fans coming on can be a sign that you inverted the polarity when you connected the batteries. That then damages the ECU. There is a work around if that is the case. Locate the diagnostic connector. It is a 3 way Superseal connector with a protective cap on it. You will see 2 wires on the connector. You need to tap a wire into what would be the middle wire and run this to earth.

Fingers crossed you just need to fully charge the battery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Red to red, black to ground is right though isn't it?

The dash lit up fine. Wouldn't it not come on at all if the polarity was wrong?

4. Not disregarding the above comments, but another option is linked with you washing it I am guessing. Might be worth a cursory glance inside some of the major ignition related connectors just to see if you can see evidence of moisture

5. Hmm, worried it could be moisture. Could that have drained the battery, because it's definitely flat. Got it at a local garage charging it up. But if the bike didn't turn over when jumping it...

6. red to red, blew to f.ck. :smile:.
    cant tell you how many times i have done this. luckily i have got away with it every time. good luck. :upyeah:

7. Yikes.

I mean, you're connecting the batteries in parallel so it should be + to +. If it was series then its + to - (on the one shared connection only obviously). Or have I got this catastrophically wrong?

8. Definately parallel; red to red. Not sure what Finm is saying but i guess it's misunderstood as he's in the business and knows better than me. I would have jumped off of the car battery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ^ you are totally correct, + to + when jumping. If you decide to jump from a car it would be better if it were a similar ampere hour type to the bike and definitely without the doner engine running. The only time you would connect in series would be if you had two 6 V batteries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. just a wee motor trade joke red to red BLUE to fu.k.
    will be fine to use a car battery just not when it's running.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. OK got the battery back, and the bike starts. Showing 14v when running.

BUT fans come on whenever the battery is connected (whether ignition on or not). So I suspect moisture is shorting a temperature sensor and bike thinks it needs the fans on. This is what must have drained the battery and not my leaving it in P.

Can someone point me to where the sensor is or other bits to check for moisture. I'm assuming drying it out and a squirt of WD will fix it??

12. You is older than me so I don't remember that one, wouldn't it be red to black, blue to f@ck though?

13. would they normally stay on when ignition off? if not. sticking fan relay possibly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Just realised I should check the temp reading on the dash, that'll conform if its the temp sensor...

15. could be totally wrong, only off top of head but I would think thermoswitch possibly at bottom of radiator is shorting out due to water it sounds like the perfect place for water to settle after you washed it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks Finm, will check for that too. Popping back into the man cave...

Good call Chris, will check that as well.

17. dude. i am merely a pup. compared to yourself. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. It is still a fairly rare occurence so prepare to be disappointed. I went to get in my old Vauxhall Viva in Guildford once after it had been totally drenched in a flash flood.
    After starting, the oil light remained on but I decided that The sender had shorted out - possibly stupid looking back. Anyway after 10 miles the light went out and I had guessed correctly

• Like Like x 1
  19. So. Connected battery using a jump lead, no fan, no start. Temp reading normal. Turned out the jump lead was a bottleneck. Direct connection and bike fired up again and still no fan. I've let it run to heat up and drive out any moisture, with squirts of Wd. All seems fine. Odd. Will take it out to fully charge and heat up before I put it away for the night.

• Like Like x 3
  20. yip the strangest things happen when battery voltages drop.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information