1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving Assessment

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jul 21, 2021.

1. I had the phone call this morning. Apparently, the DVLA have me down as a brain-damaged idiot who shouldn't be on the road. The call was to judge my level of infirmity and judgement. When I told her that I live on my own and cycle and walk (when it is not this hot) everyday, the response was, "hat time do your carers arrive?" but I managed to keep my temper - maybe that was the test?

I said that I will be getting an automatic whenever I get my license back and so I would be happy to do the assessment in an auto. I was told that if I needed an automatic, then that would be all that my license would allow, if I passed. I resisted the urge to scream, "GET WITH THE F*CKING PROGRAM! It's 2021 and I have been driving manuals for over forty years! You don't just forget how to! it's called CHOICE and last time I looked, we do not live in a communist state!" So, what will be the gig when it is only electric cars? Pass your test in one and you can't drive ANY petrol car, let alone one with gears!

As usual, the word "motorbike" was never mentioned.

If it wasn't for the fact that my accident compensation amount is influenced by this, then I would tell the lot of them to go feck themselves!

Time to see if my solicitor is still alive....

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. Well done at keeping your cool P
    Hang on in there :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. for gods sake don't tell them you post here if you are aiming to validate anything positive.... :p

If you pass auto, you can only drive auto. Which seems sensible to me: auto is far easier to drive than manual, especially for a new driver. But the good news: you can even drive electric auto after ;)

More serious question: it sound like another driving test rather than one to assess if you can have 'your licence back' which may mean you've lost you motorcycle entitlement. Worth checking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pez, did you once run a hotel in Torquay?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. If it wasn't for the fact that my accident compensation amount is influenced by this, then I would tell the lot of them to go feck themselves!

Time to see if my solicitor is still alive....[/QUOTE]

Your in for the long game P, I’m glad to see you

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fat fingers and the heat, that went before it should.
    Remember you now need the best compo you can get. I think personally I’d drop the driving thing for the time being, as hard as that might be.

7. I did. The DVLA would not give me a straight answer. Basically, the reply to that simple question was, "We are not saying" and so I don't know where I stand. If I can wake up my sol, I want to find out how much (in straight money terms) we are looking at if I don't get my license back. I suppose that I should try now as the date is booked and I've done nearly £1000 worth of preparation.

It's is very difficult. My driving instructor reckons that they are a bunch of cnuts and they will fail me , definitely. The assessment centre (who seem more worried about what time my carer calls) say that they are not out to fail me. They want me to pass. I admitted to my bad habits of slipping the car into neutral in the last few metres as I approached a red light and the other thing of resting my left hand on my knee when cruising on an easy bit. The lady who 'phoned me today, said that they are not worried about that and just want to see me safe. My solicitor is silent.

So, I don't know who to believe.

The only thing is, irrespective of what anyone thinks, is that I really want to buy that KTM and work it in the Brecon Beacons and if I had my motorcycle license, I could so that tomorrow, subject to this and that, and everything else.

I find this whole thing very difficult. On the one hand, I can moan for England, but on the other hand, things could be so much worse, My ex has got C you just get it doing nothing to deserve it. I was nil-by-mouth for 24 hours in preparation for having my leg amputated. And then on the morning of the op, the surgeons just said "Nah, leave the bugger with his leg" So things could be miles worse and I get that. Doesn't stop me from coming on here and having a good moan, though!

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. And another thing: I've had to reign myself in and did apologies to my driving instructor for always arguing.

But he is wrong.

There is nothing wrong with banging a car into neutral as you cruise up to a red light. Drive with only one hand on the wheel: Yes, fair play to criticise that but if you are on a long straight boring road then it is not exactly crime of the century. If I could return to two hands on the wheel in less than a second if I had to and It would not stop me from braking then I don't think that it is a crime.

Pulling out on an entrance into the path of a motorbike is a crime. The long forgotten salient fact on why I am having to do all of this crap.

9. And yet another thing: I am thinking of getting an enduro bike if I get my motorcycle license back. I've got some good tracks in the nearby Forest of Dean to play in. I know nothing except that I don't want anything two heavy and I've found that KTM till even still sell two strokes!

Any recommendations?

10. Was her name Eileen by any chance?.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Can someone please edit this...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Your instructor's job is to teach you all you need to do to pass your test. Coasting to a red light will not achieve that, so he is not wrong. That's not to say that coasting to a red light is wrong either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There is if you want to pass an assessment test. You can either take the advice, or ignore it. Bit don’t moan if you get failed because of something you were warned about. You’re paying him to help: so why not let him :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. He is right according to the rulebook and that is he only way that he can work. That's why I apologised for arguing the toss. Years ago, I did a mechanical engineering degree and was sponsored by Rolls-Royce Aero Engines and so I have mechanical sympathy and that often seems to clash with the driving rulebook. Another example: if you are first at a red-light, he says that you should be in first ready to pull away quickly when the light goes green. I disagree. You should be in neutral and when the light goes amber, you go into gear and pull away when the light goes green - effectively a single action.

But then in all my years, I have never worn out a clutch in a car or bike. Wouldn't be surprised if he has.

And the other thing is, and this could ne influenced by biking, is that I never get the rush to leave a red-light IMMEDIATELEY!!! I guess that come from riding bikes when you always go to the front on a red-light and are always first away by a mile and that is from never-ever holding a bike in first on a red-light. You just don't do it. Light goes amber and you go into first and then the light goes green and you are first away by miles. Only another bike can compete with you and I save competing for track days.

15. Isn't it looked at as "the vehicle is freewheeling and not under control"?
    When I did my HGV it certainly was.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Well done Perry, keep going. :upyeah::) - became thread of the week immediateley.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wrong on the light Pez, Amber I’m off, what colour comes after that?

• Agree Agree x 1

18. P it doesn’t matter wether you think it’s wrong in this case you have to be seen to be doing the right thing and that’s hands on the wheel and no cruising to lights because that can be seen as not being in control, just the thing your trying to prove that you are in control

What you do after you have fulfilled what they need to see is then up to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. That's the thing that I get confused about! The assessment centre say it is not a test and they jut want to see me safe. I gather (for it is a long time ago that I did one) that driving one-handed and being in neutral at a red light is a fail on your driving test - but it is wrong. The assessment centre tell me that they are not worried about this sh1t and only what time my carer is arriving.

So the result id that I have a driving instructor telling me one thing and the assessment centre telling me another. And my sol telling me nothing.

I am going to do the crap that I've been told to, as it's not my car and I do not give a toss about wearing out the clutch.

20. Done ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information