1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving Ban, Holding Mobile Phone

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by J biker, May 9, 2019.

• Agree Agree x 7
  1. I often use buses around town, it's funny what you see when people don't consider a bus stop something to worry about.

I do see, on cars expensive and new enough to have bluetooth fitted, people talking to the phone whilst it's rested on their fingertips but the biggest use of a phone now whilst driving, seems to be txting/checking out their social media.

I think plod had noticed the same thing as tuesday afternoon at the school run time, they were pulling and awful lot of parents on the school run and on their phone.

2. What a silly boy! I'm sure the judge wasn't particularly harsh due to his escaping the last ban due to a technicality...

#4 Jez900ie, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. One of my pet hates,guilty as charged:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Spot on

5. Stuck in very slow traffic and dobbed in by someone who took a pic (wonder of they were also driving...) and sent to police.

Now officially entered Orwellian England.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hard to believe someone would bother to report that. Is it a case of this guy is driving a better car than I am? Pretty sad really.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. What's sadder is that people are killed every day by inattentive cretins putting their own needs above the safety of everyone around them. There are several on this forum who have been injured as a result of drivers sacrificing attention to their phone calls, rather than the motorcycle stopped in front of them. Perhaps the person that reported the incident had lost a child as a result of the thoughtless actions of a phoning/texting/reading driver, even if they had not, many would rightly feel outraged to witness this kind of inattention in proximity to a school, whoever it was, whatever they were driving - wouldn't you agree?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  8. An alternative view could be that perhaps the pedestrian who took the photo was outraged that people still do this, despite the law changing decades ago.
    Perhaps they had lost or nearly lost a close relation due to a driver being distracted by texting / checking their social media instead of concentrating on the road.
    As a motorcycle forum I'm truly amazed at some of the replies here!
    This thread subject and over tinted windows will probably be responsible for slightly less forum members in the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wow... great minds and all that...

10. Yep, ban the lad. Not only did he have the phone in his hand in slow moving traffic which could have caused mayham. He was also caught for going 19 over the limit which non of us would ever consider. You lads really think the rat that turned him in lost a loved one to a person on a cell phone at 25 mph.
    I would say it was an Arsenal fan that wanted payback (me)
    Let the police do their job. The highway patrol do a fine job over here, they don't need help from regular people.
    Drunk driving yes, people on their cell phones stuck in traffic. Not so much.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Well, from his point of view a couple of things come into play...

1. He's a fucking idiot.
    2. I can only guess thinks he's above the law (just my opinion though)

Did see a copper on the phone yesterday evening on the way home from work (opposite side of the road in slow moving traffic in a marked car)

12. As has been said, cars have Bluetooth. It's not hard to stick your phone somewhere and ignore it. Phones all have voice assistants too.

13. No I don't agree. Perhaps the person that reported the incident was just another busy body wanker. Much more likely btw...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. My pet hate.

People talking with their hands whilst driving. One hand on the wheel, the other one waving around in the air, providing punctuation and emphasis for every vital piece of crucial information that seeps out from the unmetered, unregulated, stupid mouths whilst the vehicle is swerving from one lane to the other because they don't have both hands on the wheel and they don't have any attention left for their driving.

No, I have no one in particular in mind here. Odd question!

If you are talking on the phone, you aren't paying enough attention to the potentially dangerous (lethal) activity you are engaged upon - driving. Whilst I believe that you are stupid, ignorant and incapable of understanding the potential consequences of your own actions if you do drive whilst on the mobile phone … driving whilst on the phone should not be illegal. If you haven't caused an accident, you haven't caused any harm. Same principle as speeding.

If you are found to have been involved in a traffic incident that directly impacts other road users whilst on your phone (or speeding), the penalty should be a minimum of fifteen years, hard labour. Double that for causing an injury and treble that for life-changing injuries or death. And you can apply for parole only after completing the full sentence.

Sorry, I am really angry about people waving their arms around whilst driving, it may be affecting my judgment and temper.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Do you feel the same way to people doing the same thing whilst listening to music in the car?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Egg Fucking Zactly....

17. I am not sure how to feel about this, would anyone hating the phone drivers think it was ok if not illegal? I agree with the speeding thing also, who here does not speed? Look down at radio? Eat or drink whilst driving a car? Driven tired? All dangerous and you could argue more dangerous than looking at a phone whilst in a traffic jam, but using the phone is of course dangerous, so its wrong, but I think I agree that if these things cause an accident then the penalties should be harsh. I have done all of the above though so cannot really slate others for doing it. I did wonder what I was doing the other day pulling up next to a driver doing 70mph and shaking my fist because he pulled out into my lane without looking while I was passing him at 100 mph, bit ridiculous really. Hollyer than thou.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Personal responsibility is what should govern us wherever possible. Regulation by Government should be a last resort, not the first thing people reach for. If you fail your personal responsibility, the circumstances should be fearsome.

I believe that people talking on the phone whilst driving are splitting their attention in a fashion that is potentially dangerous to other road users. However, why should my view hold sway? Why should what I believe translate into an authoritarian position where someone doing no actual harm gets punished for a victimless crime?

If you are in stop-start traffic, your attention should be on driving. If you are on the motorway doing the speed limit, your attention should be on driving. If you are stopped at the lights, at road works, etc, you aren't moving anywhere … where you attention is, is up to you, as far as I am concerned. If you are in a phone conversation whilst stopped, and the lights change, either move forward, or carry on talking on the phone, but not both. But this is all only my opinion.

If you drive your entire life whilst chatting on the phone, or speeding, and never have an accident, what business is it of mine? You are somehow capable of true multi-tasking, and have inhuman response times and prescience, marvellous. If you're on the phone, etc and crash - you have failed your personal responsibility to drive as safely as you possibly can, and the law should come down on you like the side of a mountain.

If you do all these things whilst never causing an accident, where is the victim, where is the crime?

This speed camera ... people snitching on phone users ... average speed camera stuff … it's all removing personal responsibility from the equation and handing over power to the State. In the long term, this will do more harm to UK society than people speeding or yakking on their phones. We live in a society of children, where adults are too few and far between. This has serious consequences for our species - especially if some out-of-context natural catastrophe strikes us.

Nah, I'm just kidding. We need to be coddled, controlled, told what to do and what not to do. If we never have to take responsibility for what we do, why on Earth do we need to learn personal responsibility? We should learn to be good little worker ants who follow orders. Better that way.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information