1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Dropped Bike: Broken Hand Guard

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MotoNik, Mar 31, 2019.

1. i perhaps inevitably dropped my Enduro this morning, and smashed the hand guard to pieces. What a disappointing component, to break so easily.

I’ve seen the ally things that fit on the bar end, although I’m not hugely convinced that would have saved the fragile plastic this morning. Also, I’m not hugely keen on how they look.

Has anyone found a replacement hand guard as an alternative to the OEM part? I’m keen to find something that retains the indicator but has an integrated bark-buster - as opposed to the bark-buster the goes round the outside of the standard hand guard.

I was also disappointed that the bike was effectively immobilised as the gear lever bent, so I couldn’t engage first gear. Thankfully it was only ten minutes from fellow forum member Pedro’s gaff, and he was kind enough to pop out with some tools to bend it straight for me again. Thank you my good man!

2. Ilmberger carbon to the rescue!
    [​IMG]
    ..can't remember what the end bar thingie is called. But it has saved me lowering my bike to the ground in a unfortunate (low) number of circumstances.
    [​IMG]
    Though luckily I've named the photo 'ducabike handguard' for my sieve like brains faults. Which I got through conquest carbon however they've renamed their website & its not working.

3. Appreciate your reply, but as mentioned above I’m not a fan of the bar end protector, and I’m looking for a non-standard handguard that incorporates a bark buster.

Thank you though!

4. What is more disappointing is you have crash Bars I see, would have thought the whole point of them was to stop other components getting damaged in a a small fall over, especially the gear lever, unless it hit a kerb.

5. I don't have crash bars - yet - but I may do soon! Whether they'd help protect the gear and brake levers remains to be seen.

6. No, they don’t and the folding foot rest doesn’t help. Andy

7. I dropped a 13 plate multi, well fell off it (actually I jumped off) :( it went down on the right hand side no damage at all, except a scratch on the brake lever. so crash bars saved me there

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'll be carry some stout pliers from now on - the gear lever is too stiff to bend by hand, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was ten minutes from a friends house I'd have been calling the RAC.

9. I carry a spare for the Diavel and wait until I get home then use heat in the workshop. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's actually a bloody good idea, I think I'll do the same. Might look at a set of handlebar levers too, as it would be so easy to ping those off and be stranded.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dropped my '17 1200 S DVT.....broke mine as well...so converted the MTS into a tank. lol!
    I tried to find something but to be honest the barkbuster doesnt look bad at all.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Thanks for posting!

Are you satisfied that the bark busters seems robust enough to withstand a drop?

13. Just pleased I could help mate, amazing what can be achieved with a bit of ally, double sided tape and some cable ties!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Great job too!

Replacement parts from Moto Rapido are £116 - I may get a new lever and have it powder coated, and keep the original one under the seat, just in case...

15. I've got the ducabike ends on mine but when I tipped off in Sardinia the handguardi still broke.
    What it was good for was stopping you breaking them on car mirrors when commuting in London...
    I agree and can't understand why something more like the slightly flexible plastic ones on a GS couldn't be designed and fitted.

Perhaps someone clever with a 3D printer could design a better one?

16. I have a 3D printer and CAD software, I'm just not that clever :grinning:

I might go for the bark busters.

17. yes, its not those Ducabike bits...no offense guys but that design looks inefficient straight off the bat..there someone needed to say it lol!

The barkbuster are dense and solid. I wasnt sure myself if it was worth it but for £115 for the pair and after installation I think it's worth every dime. they are built for motocross abuse where they smash into rocks, trees..etc etc I think for road use they are plenty sufficient and definitely save the plastic bits!

I also bought ASV Shorties to replace the levers. they have 5 years unbreakable warranty. So if they break in a fall, they get replaced for free! Expensive though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. My suspicion from the start when someone suggested this was that they wont do their job when the bike hits the floor. if you hit car mirrors, think should get a more city friendly bike hahaha! excuse to get a second bike

19. Thank you, that's a good recommendation - I appreciate it!

20. I'm still getting used to the width, so tend to only filter when I feel completely confident I can get through. So I don't expect that'll be an issue. I mostly just want something that'll keep the bike rideable in the event of another gravity-induced stability incident.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information